Recessed suppressor/silencer SBR regrets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JoeLiberty

Re: Recessed suppressor/silencer SBR regrets

Post by JoeLiberty »

I have not received my can yet so I cannot say whether I like it or not, but I did come up with a solution to one of the problems. You would not want to hold the handguard with muzzle under there. My SBR was done months before and what am I gonna do, NOT shoot it?? I put a long, cheap muzzle device (KAK flashcan) to get the end out past the rail. I think it's an 8" barrel and a 10" handguard. If you are recessed farther, I don't see why a fake suppressor couldn't do the same.

ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I've got two 300BLKs (Leonidas and a 9.5" SBR with Mystic), a 9mm pistol and two 12.5" 6.8 SBRs with a TBAC Ultra, and all are set up recessed. I put a tiny amount of anti seize on the barrel's threads and a tiny bit of low-strength thread lock on the mount's threads going into the can and have never had an issue. I don't do a ton of mag dumps though. All built with Seekins MCSR handguards (or the Radical Firearms/ Heads Down variants).

RAINS said that" How the heck do you test loads to make sure they are stable in your barrel? YOU CAN'T! If you even try your rail is a goner." That has not been my experience in the least. (I am attempting to turn over a new leaf and removed a more descriptive but less, um, Safe-space friendly version of that response.)
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

golfindia wrote:
Overton-AR wrote:I know I am in the minority.......but I hated mine after it was built.

To me the downsides mandated that I go another way.....so I sold the 12" rail and went with an 8" KMR rail. I am very happy now. For me the downsides were.....

1 - Heat coming through the rail.
2 - Suppressor endcap sticks to the mount and unthreading from the tube.
3 - Large and uncomfortable rail.
4 - Cannot shoot without the suppressor (this is only a downside for some.....unsuppressed SUCKS)
I agree with all of these, i have a rail that extends past the barrel on only one rifle, a 9mm. It's bearable because it doesnt get that hot. I use a pistol can which is much smaller dia than rifle models, so i didnt need to use a huge rail. The thread/tube adapter staying on the barrel sucks, one of these days I'm just going to buy another one for the other uses and just loctite one on the 9mm. I definitely would not set up a gun like this with a rifle can, too much of a pain.

Golfindia....you are 100% correct. When building a 9mm several of the downsides are negated.

1 - Not much heat from a 9mm
2 - No "threading" issues due to a 3-lug or other quick mount
3 - No need for the large uncomfortable rails as the smaller pistol can fits under almost any.

This is a pic of my 9mm SBR. Its a 4.5" 9mm barrel with a 10" BCM rail covering most of the Form 1 suppressor. It mounts with a Griffin 3-Lug adapter and this greatly reduces the "sticking" factor. I feel that recessed cans have their place, but in most cases I wouldn't do it with a rifle caliber

(PIC is before the SBR stamp was approved......in pistol form)
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

JoeLiberty wrote:I have not received my can yet so I cannot say whether I like it or not, but I did come up with a solution to one of the problems. You would not want to hold the handguard with muzzle under there. My SBR was done months before and what am I gonna do, NOT shoot it?? I put a long, cheap muzzle device (KAK flashcan) to get the end out past the rail. I think it's an 8" barrel and a 10" handguard. If you are recessed farther, I don't see why a fake suppressor couldn't do the same.

Off subject, and I don't know how you grip your VG, but I'm gonna recommend http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/direct-mount-vfg/
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

I have a pretty aggressive rail that extends past the muzzle something good (the one with the sound suppressor on it):

I already had my load established and I stick with it.

I have one regret, however... The rail makes the SBR feel like a regular 16" carbine... One of the benefits of an SBR is the shorter swing, and a long rail just feels... well... long. When I had a 9" rail on the gun, it felt more nimble. The 13" rail I have on it now is actually lighter than the 9" rail I originally had, but it still feels less nimble.

Otherwise, you gotta live a little! Like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDjahThqb4
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
JoeLiberty

Post by JoeLiberty »

DoubleJ wrote: Off subject, and I don't know how you grip your VG, but I'm gonna recommend http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/direct-mount-vfg/
Ah! You cut me to the quick. That unsightly gap. The one piece of shame on this rifle. Is it really so bad? Must be. :oops: I have been looking for something like that. Many thanks. I knew they were sending rails for the handguard. I did not know they were going to be 3/4" friggin' tall.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I tried that same setup myself on two different rifles and just couldn't take it. The UT grip is pretty small, but it's super clean.

NO!

Yes.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
dbltapXD
Silent Operator

Post by dbltapXD »

I used to have my SBR in 300 BLK setup with a can that was barely under the handguard. I liked the look and didn't have any of the problems mentioned with the QD mount trying to come out of the suppressor, etc., because the muzzle (or at least the FH) was outside of the handguard. However, when I bought my latest suppressor, an Omega, it had a slightly larger diameter, so my Ranier (Samson Mfg.) HG's would no longer support this configuration.

I wanted to have as much of the "monolithic" look as I could have, but still need to access the lock ring on the ASR mount for the Omega. I have two uppers for my SBR (a 9" AAC 300 BLK and a 12.5" Daniel Defense 5.56) and I wanted to have them setup as identically as possible as far as handguards are concerned.

I searched far and wide for a manufacturer who made handguards that would give me the look and functionality I wanted, and finally came across SLR Rifleworks. They offer almost every conceivable length of handguard, so I was able to get handguards from them for both of my uppers that fit the bill. Here is a pic of my 300 BLK upper with the 9" AAC barrel and an 8.5" SLR SOLO Lite handguard.

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I have never loaded or fired a round that was so unstable that it was sideways 3 inches from the muzzle. I suppose it's possible but unlikely.Has a rail ever been damaged by such a round? Haven't seen one yet. All that being said, if I had a 8 inch barrel with a 15 inch rail I'd keep my hand tucked back to.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
JoeLiberty

Post by JoeLiberty »

rebel wrote:I have never loaded or fired a round that was so unstable that it was sideways 3 inches from the muzzle. I suppose it's possible but unlikely.Has a rail ever been damaged by such a round? Haven't seen one yet. All that being said, if I had a 8 inch barrel with a 15 inch rail I'd keep my hand tucked back to.
It's not the projectile that would do damage, but the escaping gas absolutely can destroy a handguard. Not sure it would be as bad with a bare muzzle, but I'm sure af not testing it. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... le-brakes/