Quietest semi-auto supressed sub powder?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

phils3
Silent Operator

Quietest semi-auto supressed sub powder?

Post by phils3 »

I have been loading supers and am just getting into loading subs. I've done some looking around here and it seems there are a few powders that are noticeably more quite than the standard 1680 for shooting subs supressed. If you have any experience with any of the powders listed below, indicate which one you think is the most quiet.
Reloader 7
Lil Gun
Ramshot Enforcer/4100
H110/W296
300MP
N110
H4198
A5744
Accurate No 9

I know this will all be subjective and dependent on your setup, but it would be interesting to see if there are any trends...
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quietest semi-auto supressed sub powder?

Post by certifiable »

My personal favorite is n110 although no.9 is quieter to my ear you may have a difficult time getting full function depending on how your gun is configured. The faster powders such as h110, lilgun and n110 will all be quieter to the ear and cleaner burning than a1680
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
miami2778

Post by miami2778 »

I'm using accurate #9 and it is stupid quiet. Took some tinkering but I was able to get full function with a suppressed 8" barrel.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The best answer to the way you have worded your question is, faster powders should be quieter.

The other trends that you will find are:

The faster the powder, the cleaner it will burn, the heavier of bullet you will be limited to.

The slower the powder the dirtier it will be and the lighter of bullet you can use.

Slower powders tend to function more reliably.

The quietest powder I have used in an 8" barrel and still had full function suppressed, is N105. Still working on a load that will function bullets lighter than 220 grains.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
riude

Post by riude »

Don´t know if AR will cycle with N340, but in bolt action it beat´s N110, both loudness and accuracy.
What I understand (whitch is little) about subs, we want maximum chamber pressure (=max consistensy) and minimum barrel pressure (=minimum noise). You can estimate these with Quickload.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I like the tone (sound) of accurate #9, but I believe that enforcer is a little more quiet, and grain for grain, easier to keep (190-240 gr) bullets below subsonic levels.

The #9 (for my gun) wanted to push the velocity of 220 and 240 bullets to nearly at or above subsonic and still retain function.

With both powders however, I did ultimately switch to a tubbs flat coil chrome silicone reduced power buffer spring, and I was getting full function at that point, but I have also switched to a tac-com reduced weight buffer just so I can reduce some of the charge a little and thus, chamber pressure a little. That was done mostly to tweak it as much as I can to tune it to my particular gun.

The enforcer powder itself is about as easy to measure as black pepper would be though because it's really fine texture. The #9 is a lot easier to throw your charges. If it weren't for having a hornady lock n load powder dispenser set on low trickle, I'm not sure if choosing the enforcer powder would be worth it.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.