300 Blackout Subsonic accuracy a joke???

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FOXHOUND_USMC

Re: 300 Blackout Subsonic accuracy a joke???

Post by FOXHOUND_USMC »

PLATFORM:
Spikes Tactical Compressor (300blk) "modified" (8.1" 1:8 RH barrel)
SilencerCo Omega 7.62 suppressor (direct thread mounted)
Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8X M-TMR
HiperFire 24C trigger

AMMUNITION:
PNW 125gr Match (Supersonic)
PNW 155gr Match (Supersonic)

RANGE:
Northern Virginia, Late Sept 2015
100yd as measured by automated target system
Indoor firing bay (no wind, approx 70 degrees F)
Handguard supported by wedge block on table
Aiming point was red diamonds

Looks to be about 1.125" average groups out of both loads.
PLEASE NOTE: THOSE ARE "EYEBALL" MEASUREMENTS BASE OFF THE GRID, NOT A MECHANICAL INSTRUMENT, MATH NOT DEFINITE...
Also, still getting used to the Leupold and mils, so zero isn't final, used to MOAs. This was just a grouping exercise.

I have some 220gr SMK I'll cook up some sub loads with to test, stay tuned...
riude

Post by riude »

Greetings from Finland, this is my first post here.
300blk is quite rare caliber here (also in whole europe).
Anyway I wanted one, and had .223 Weatherby Vanguard converted 6 months ago.It has 17" barrel with 1/7.5 twist.
I had only one quite specified reason to have blk, shooting "racoon dogs" (Nyctereutes procyonoides) subsonic at night near farms etc., where I can´t make noice.
My goal was 1 moa subsonic constantly, and at least some expansion.

First, I was totally disappointed to subsonic accuracy.
I tried many many bullets from 100 to 220 grains with Vihtavuori N110 and N340 powders with no decent accuracy.
Also lead casts, 5-6 different weight and shape. I could not get any better than 4"/100m(abt. 110yards).

Then I found these bullets: https://www.hn-sport.de/en/reloading/tc-308-165-gr-hs
They were absolute success at once. Under 1 moa constantly. I load them with 5,3gr Vihtavuori N340.
Same with round nose version.

Other important feature for me is to get some expansion/fragmentation.
Those racoon dogs will run far before dying even with good shot with fmj or such bullet.

These bullets are easily modified to get such behavior.
Just split nose of bullet (abt. 0.3") in two. I made it with milling machine with splitting saw to make sure they would be consistent.
Impact will rip splitted parts of bullets nose off, while remaining part goes thru. Usually core also starts to tumble.

So, for me these bullets were heaven´s gift. Without them, I don´t know how this gun could fill my needs.

I think you you can get those bullet´s from US.
spinal tap
Silent Operator

Post by spinal tap »

riude wrote:Greetings from Finland, this is my first post here.
300blk is quite rare caliber here (also in whole europe).
Anyway I wanted one, and had .223 Weatherby Vanguard converted 6 months ago.It has 17" barrel with 1/7.5 twist.
I had only one quite specified reason to have blk, shooting "racoon dogs" (Nyctereutes procyonoides) subsonic at night near farms etc.
Welcome to the forum! Never heard of a raccoon dog before - that's quite a creature.

With my limited experience loading subsonics thus far - I've found that the lower charges of 1680 are far more accurate than higher. Using a descending ladder from 11.3 to 10.1, I could hardly keep groups on the same piece of paper at 50 yds until I reached 10.5 gr. 10.3 and 10.1 were the most accurate out of my 12.5" AAC upper using an SDN-6 suppressor. Those groups were touching or nearly touching on paper. More data below. Perhaps my COL is too short? I welcome any advice before I load any more.

Case: GCG prepped FC mil spec
Primer: Federal 205 Small Rifle
Powder: Accurate 1680
Bullet: Leatherhead 220gr Coated Cast
COL: 2.065”
Crimp: Light
riude

Post by riude »

Bullet: Leatherhead 220gr Coated Cast

Those look very exciting. Too bad, seem´s Leatherwood won´t ship anything outside US.
Do you have export restrictions for such bullet´s in generally, or is it just this company policy?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

riude wrote:Bullet: Leatherhead 220gr Coated Cast

Those look very exciting. Too bad, seem´s Leatherwood won´t ship anything outside US.
Do you have export restrictions for such bullet´s in generally, or is it just this company policy?
ITAR

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html