xdm threaded barrel issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Re: xdm threaded barrel issues

Post by kamoto »

the threaded versions aren't available to me. i placed the 40 on order Jan 3. nothing still on waiting list. that said i got a call about a lightly used 40 in OD green with extra mag and the essentials package for $500 so i did.

the other reason i want a second barrel is I am an instructor for classes. and when its not me handling the weapon i would rather have a standard barrel that i don't have to worry about damaging threads.

i can call springfield again, but when i called previously they were not available for sale individually.
kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Post by kamoto »

other than the fact it will look funny my dealer found me a used xdm .45 threaded 4.5 in and i have 3.8 in but the price is right...... thoughts?
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

kamoto wrote:other than the fact it will look funny my dealer found me a used xdm .45 threaded 4.5 in and i have 3.8 in but the price is right...... thoughts?
As long as they are both the same dimensionally in the chamber area and the frame to barrel locking lug it should work. Ran into this years ago with 9mm glock barrels, dont know about xd's
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Post by kamoto »

OK I got an extra barrel for $50 then.....
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

SOOO, I contacted Springfield to see if I could buy the threaded barrel and suppressor height sights separate, and this is their response:

"Hello

Thank you for contacting Springfield Armory. We do not sell barrels, frames or slides seperately and the tall sights are not available for purchase seperatly. Sorry.

That is a service our custom shop would have to perform a barrel fitment and sight change out however, due to the popularity of our custom upgrades we have found ourselves in a situation where the build times for full custom firearms has lengthened to waits of 2.5 years or more. As a result, Springfield Custom has decided to suspend all upgrades in an effort to concentrate their talents on catching up on the backlog of full custom firearm orders already waiting. We feel that we do not serve our customers well quoting almost 3 years for some models and this should bring those waits down substantially. We fully expect to open up to alterations after the first of the year but that will ultimately be determined by how far we get on our backorders by then.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

Total Bollocks. I don't see any reason why you couldn't sell a barrel and sights.

It also really bothers me that their representative couldn't spell 'SEPARATELY' correctly... But that's for completely other reasons.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Post by kamoto »

Also noted storm lake no longer makes threaded conversion barrels. So I will make my own there. Efk fire dragon still does but the price is $80 more per barrel vs storm lake are they worth the extra$?
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

kamoto wrote:Also noted storm lake no longer makes threaded conversion barrels. So I will make my own there. Efk fire dragon still does but the price is $80 more per barrel vs storm lake are they worth the extra$?
I used to have an EFK .357 Sig conversion barrel for my XD 40... had to sell the gun and barrel to pay for vet bills when my cat died... sad story... ANYWAY, it shot great, but it wasn't a 9mm conversion barrel. They use EDM cutting for rifling, so you get a super smooth, almost polygonal-like, rifling in the barrel. I think the barrel I had from them had a left-hand twist rifling. It required very minor fitting, but nothing substantial. It was expensive back in 2008, and I don't think the prices have changed at all in the past 8 years. I paid about $230 for the barrel. I'm not necessarily sure they are $80 better than Storm Lake, though...

Also, Bar-Sto makes XDm Barrels, but they are even MORE expensive the EFK.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Post by kamoto »

I can get the 5.3 in target model barrel and thread it I'm pretty sure and be under $200 using storm lake so I'm looking into that now.