How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by plant.one »

the one problem i see with stretching this to 300 yds - you're going to cut your participant list down significantly.

its hard enough for many people to get access to a 200 yd range. Personally i have limited choices to do so - drive either 3+ or 4+ hours round trip to do so on private property, or visit the one semi-public range around here that has a 200 yd berm and is only open for 3 hours saturday and sunday to the public, and then pay $12 to sit down and shoot for that 3 hour time. Or i can spend $300 to join the club and then only pay $4 a range session, but have it open 7 days a week to me.

if i were to make a suggestion - and this is solely to help increase participation - why not lessen the distance to 100 yds.

obviously we'd have to decrease the target size to keep it to (rougly) the same level of challenge as the 200 yd contest... how about using a business card instead of a index card? or maybe 5 pre-determined size stickers, one shot per sticker type of thing?

its a distance almost EVERY shooter has access to at even their local public range, and getting your hands on a business card or two, or some reasonably accessible stickers to shoot should be easy peasy for anyone.

the challenge is great on this, but the harder you make it for people to participate - i'm not talking about difficulty in the shots themselves, just finding a place to do them - the less interest you're going to have going forward.

i guess what i'm saying is picking the appropriate target is the easy part, lets reduce the physical limitations of the locations to do the challenge at.

just my $0.02 USD
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

I am ok with adding a 100 yard division to the challenge but I also think we should stick with the current catagories of 200 & 300 yds.
I don't think anyone is bored with the 200yd distance yet and I understand that not everyone has access to 300 yds but we should keep the category open for those of who do.
For me, the whole point of this exercise is to challenge my personal abilities as a marksman and a hand loader.

I still need to make an attempt at 300 with irons and will be also be going out to 500m (scoped) since I have that option available to me
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

100/200 is easiest for me to access.

I do have an invite to shoot at a 300, possibly 400 yard tunnel which will be nice to eliminate wind. The problem is I have not been able to get an accurate measurement of the ceiling, looks like the 400 would have to be shot prone :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ya i dont see a reason to eliminate the other categories for folks who wish to participate in them.

however if we're going to modify the challenge, i was just trying to suggest that it could/should be done in a way to make it more inclusive, not less :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

I like the idea if a 100yd target group also. Suggestion, maybe make the 100yd group a 10 shot target group to increase the difficulty on it?
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

In my honest opinion 200yds should be the minimum. It is testing the round beyond what someone would assume is the max distance.

If everyone wants to do 100yds we can add it in. Just was voicing my thoughts.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

http://www.junglelane.co.nz/dot-shooting/

Heres an alternative that might just please everyone.
Have a read of this guys competition and see if this could work in somehow.
Say a 50 yard target thats 3 dots 300' apart. 100yards .600' apart. 200yards 1.200'.
Hope I got the imperial conversion close we use metric.

Thoughts?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Walkers Bay wrote:http://www.junglelane.co.nz/dot-shooting/

Say a 50 yard target thats 3 dots 300' apart. 100yards .600' apart. 200yards 1.200'.

Thoughts?
That's an interesting concept. Implementation may be a bit complicated compared to "stick up a 3x5 card and shoot at it". :mrgreen:

I think I'll steal this idea for shooting .22's at 50 yards with my wife.
pdoshier

Post by pdoshier »

I think it would be great to start a new thread for the dots at 50/75/100 what ever. I think there would be quite a bit of interest in that. But, since this thread is titled "How far can you shoot subs" I like it the way it is. I'm hoping to get in on this. Just trying to get set up now. Time is always an issue. That and I have to find my range finder so I can actually mark 200/300 yd spots in the field. I've never really shot past 100yd with any rifle but want to give it a go.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

bangbangping wrote:
Walkers Bay wrote:http://www.junglelane.co.nz/dot-shooting/

Thoughts?
That's an interesting concept. Implementation may be a bit complicated compared to "stick up a 3x5 card and shoot at it". :mrgreen:

I think I'll steal this idea for shooting .22's at 50 yards with my wife.

Yeah I like the idea for short range .22 plinking. Takes a hell of a good shot to land the smack on.
My thought was someone who is a bit more gun on a computer could set up a pdf print file link and just print the card you require. Shoot at it. Take a photo to post with range load and rifle.
But a new thread is probably in order to make it a go. Maybe an admin run Target of the month type thing.