What other caliber to SBR?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

realtreehunter
Silent But Deadly

What other caliber to SBR?

Post by realtreehunter »

I picked up an extra lower yesterday because I have been wanting a spare and with the thought that what the heck, better go ahead in just case. Now I'm thinking Id like to go ahead and SBR it. My issue is what caliber? I already have a form submitted for a 300BLK and don't know that I want another one, I want my next BLK to be a bolt gun. What other calibers are make fun/useful SBRs? To SBR the BLK was a no brainer but with other calibers, the short barrel seems counterproductive. This would mostly be a home defense/close range hunter. In 16" guns I already have a 458 socom, another 300BLK, a 556, and then a 24" rra varmint with plans for a dpms g2 hunter or SASS(the SASS depends on auction prices :lol: ). I feel like I have things pretty well covered but with the whole 41f thing upon us I have the bug to build one more. This would most likely sit a while but i'm thinking of going on and doing it while its easier.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Re: What other caliber to SBR?

Post by Alphawolf082 »

I have a 10.5" 5.56 gun that is actually a lot of fun. Hand loads which run 2855 fps in my 16" are doing 2525 fps unsuppressed and 2695 fps suppressed from it, so not as bad as I thought (and the can added MUCH more than I expected).
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

9mm is a good project and great fun to shoot. 147gr subsonic loads.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

If the lower is already stamped 5.56 then just put that on the Form 1. If it's stamped Multi Cal, then put 5.56 anyway since that's the most common.

You can swap barrel lengths and calibers all you want once approved. The most important thing is to get that serial# registered, and start the process well ahead of July 13.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

6.8 SPC.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

.458 SOCOM is pretty efficient in 12" barrel lengths due to the large bore and fast powders used. +1 for 9mm, also efficient and way cheap to shoot.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

DoubleJ wrote:.458 SOCOM is pretty efficient in 12" barrel lengths due to the large bore and fast powders used. +1 for 9mm, also efficient and way cheap to shoot.

But quite a bit more $ to build.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Tromix's 375SOCOM, commonality with some 458SOCOM reloading components.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

IMGrunt wrote:9mm is a good project and great fun to shoot. 147gr subsonic loads.

What he said.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

I love my 9mm ar pistol, but mostly because it takes glock mags haha. I've always thought a Grendel would be fun in a 10-12" barrel.