Frangible Subsonic?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jed Depew

Frangible Subsonic?

Post by Jed Depew »

Please help my ignorance. I seems like a frangible subsonic would be an ideal suppressed round, the limited range of a subsonic would lend its self to closer shooting conditions and the lack of a ricochet from a frangible seems like a perfect match. But look as I may, there seems to be nothing like this out there. There are some "controlled fracturing" subs which are closer but I have yet to see a dedicated frangible subsonic offered. Now I can not be the first person to think of this, so my guess is that there is a very good reason not to use a frangible sub on a suppressed firearm but I am damned if I can figure out what it is.

Please, educate me. I am obviously missing something.

Jed
svh
Silent But Deadly

Re: Frangible Subsonic?

Post by svh »

Welcome, and thanks for the thought provoking question. 8)

In certain situations, it sounds like it would be a good choice .... BUT, I'm sure someone way more knowledgeable than me, will tell us why it's not. :lol:

Yeah, those Lehigh Controlled Fracturing rounds are some mean sumbitches. :twisted:
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Frangibles are shit for ANY situation outside of a shoot house(where they serve a VERY good purpose). Even guys such as Air Marshals and the like do not carry frangibles.

There is a reason why bullet manufacturers have spent millions of dollars(probably billions of dollars) attempting to get bullets to expand, yet retain all of their pieces and weight because when you start to lose pieces of the bullet(fragmentation), you lose that solid direct energy transfer. You want maximum energy transfer, not energy dispersion.

You also need minimum penetration depths. If you look at enough bullet tests in gel where you see bullets that came apart(fragmented) instead of stayed together, those fragments will generally be retained very shallow in the block and will not have reached the minimum penetration distance.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

For the sake of discussion, it would be tough to make a bullet so fragile that it would blow apart at those speeds. Maybe one made of stale biscuits? :lol:
Maybe something like a Glaser Safety bullet as they are made for 45 ACP - not exactly frangible but close.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

DRT Ammo would be the exception to the rule.
They have a powder metal core that has excellent penetration in all their rifle and handgun varieties.

I have tested their .308, 300 blackout, various.223, and the .380, 9mm, and .40

It is hard to find a barrier blind "Frangable" bullet and they did it.

It is the only Frangable ammo I buy but that's just me.

That all being said...DRT is working on a subsonic 200+ grain bullet that will expand. I have that directly from DRT and I am a member of their Industry Pro Team.

If something sucks I would tell them and seek out someone with more knowledge than I have to verify my findings before I would publish. Good folks. DRT does not offer free ammo in exchange for positive reviews.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I use sinterfire bullets in my FN FiveseveN, and they work just fine. I've loaded a few in my AR as well, they made round holes in paper. They are light for caliber. I'd guess if it's a single shot you might be ok, but I have no idea if they'd be heavy enough to cycle an AR. Heaviest they list are 125s. My concern with shooting them through a can would be if one 'franged' in the bore. I hear if you crimp them too heavy, they will break in half. Mine have all passed the whack test. I did notice they make a .458 bore though, that's got me thinking about my SOCOM...
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Making bullets is a lot harder then 99% + of people think it is.

having worked with 3 small companies trying to bring an affordable expanding sub to market. I can tell you there is a lot of money that goes into development. Add on to that government fees and charges, it makes it very expensive to have a dedicated line to any bullet that is not already standard.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I have been shooting M160 frangible bullets for years in the Blackout, subsonic suppressed. Not enough oomph to function semi auto, I normally shoot them in bolt action or single shot firearms. I also use them on armadillos at night with a thermal sight.

Some gun and powder combos give fine accuracy at supersonic speed. My FAL loves them in the 2000+ fps range, but most guns do well in the 1700 fps range.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

Just got this in an e-mail today ...... Speak of the devil ! Edit : It's a super, not sub.....

http://www.ozarkordnance.com/300-AAC-Bl ... =mailid:60
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I wonder how it is going to do against a soft target.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk