New 8.5", Suppressed Back Pack gun

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Southern 300

Re: New 8.5", Suppressed Back Pack gun

Post by Southern 300 »

rangertrace wrote:I'm still debating between building a true lefty upper or not. I'm trying to decided between using a lefty CMT Tactical billet upper with a nickel boron Stag lefty BCG or
using the righty CMT Tactical billet upper with a Lantac BCG. The Lantac BCG is vented forward to keep the gasses away from the shooter.

Thoughts?
I am left eye dominant and ambidextrous and I say definitely not. Teach yourself to be ambidextrous and Stick with a standard rifle, especially since you already own a few of those. You would need to learn what amounts to a different system, you lose the advantages you have with the standard system and cannot rob parts.

Make that rifle as ambidextrous as possible by using the ambi selector of your choice and an ambi mag release. I prefer the Norgon although it works better with a partially loaded or empty magazine in my receiver than a full mag. With the full magazine it is easier to release if you put pressure on the bottom of the mag and then hit the release. If you experiment with pistol grip sizes you can insert the mag with your right hand and hit the standard bolt release with your left index finger.

I noticed you are planning on going with an MRO. Any plans to add some magnification for longer distances? I am an extreme novice to the state of Texas but my perception is that at least 50% percent of the time you could have ranges over 100 yards. Many eyes are different but my older eyes like magnification now.

Several slightly off topic items - I appreciate your service. I remember reading that one of the men who killed Charles Whitman later became a Texas Ranger. Are the Rangers still using Mexican coins of various values to denote rank? What is your company vehicle? How are you securing the long arms in the vehicle? A lockable rack will be installed in my new vehicle. Do you furnish your own weapons and other equipment based on an approved list or does the DoS supply something?

Two awesome movies with plenty of rifle action are Lone Wolf McQuade and Extreme Prejudice.

Pictures of the new one would be nice. I love the two you have. An SBR just does it for me.
rangertrace

Post by rangertrace »

Southern 300 wrote:
rangertrace wrote:I'm still debating between building a true lefty upper or not. I'm trying to decided between using a lefty CMT Tactical billet upper with a nickel boron Stag lefty BCG or
using the righty CMT Tactical billet upper with a Lantac BCG. The Lantac BCG is vented forward to keep the gasses away from the shooter.

Thoughts?
I am left eye dominant and ambidextrous and I say definitely not. Teach yourself to be ambidextrous and Stick with a standard rifle, especially since you already own a few of those. You would need to learn what amounts to a different system, you lose the advantages you have with the standard system and cannot rob parts.

Make that rifle as ambidextrous as possible by using the ambi selector of your choice and an ambi mag release. I prefer the Norgon although it works better with a partially loaded or empty magazine in my receiver than a full mag. With the full magazine it is easier to release if you put pressure on the bottom of the mag and then hit the release. If you experiment with pistol grip sizes you can insert the mag with your right hand and hit the standard bolt release with your left index finger.

I noticed you are planning on going with an MRO. Any plans to add some magnification for longer distances? I am an extreme novice to the state of Texas but my perception is that at least 50% percent of the time you could have ranges over 100 yards. Many eyes are different but my older eyes like magnification now.

Several slightly off topic items - I appreciate your service. I remember reading that one of the men who killed Charles Whitman later became a Texas Ranger. Are the Rangers still using Mexican coins of various values to denote rank? What is your company vehicle? How are you securing the long arms in the vehicle? A lockable rack will be installed in my new vehicle. Do you furnish your own weapons and other equipment based on an approved list or does the DoS supply something?

Two awesome movies with plenty of rifle action are Lone Wolf McQuade and Extreme Prejudice.

Pictures of the new one would be nice. I love the two you have. An SBR just does it for me.
Well, I got to test the LANTAC BCG and it worked as advertised. We have 4 lefties in Company "B", so the Major was kind enough to let me order 4 of them. With that said, I'm going with a LANTAC Billet upper receiver as well, so this will end of being a right handed rifle. For any of you who've had issues with gas/debris hitting you in the face, the LANTAC BCG gas ports aim the gasses towards the muzzle.

Yes we still use the Cinco Peso as our badge, but the ranks are engraved on there. captains and above are issued a gold plated cinco peso, but they often buy their own 500 peso coin and have the badge made. Tradition used to be that your fellow Rangers would buy the 500 peso coin when you promoted, but the cost of gold got too high.

Every Ranger is issued a 16" Bushmaster M4 and a Larue 308. SRT and Recon Rangers recently got HK 416s with 10.5" barrels.
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

You will LOVE the 8.5" SBR. For me its the best of the "super shorties". I have an 8.5" for ultimate compactness.....then a 12.5" when I want to stretch my legs.

Barrel - 8.5" Noveske Navy
Rail - Bravo Company KMR 7"
Suppressor - GemTech G5
Stock - LWRC Ultra Compact
(about 1.25" shorter than standard)

Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

rangertrace wrote:
Blowout wrote:I'm interested in what backpack this will fit into. Do you plan on breaking it down?
With the Law Tactical folding unit and no can, it will be very short. I'm looking at the Ebarhart Cherry Bomb right now....but I've got a few months to shop. ATF just cashed my checks yesterday....
Since your shopping... just noticed Brownells has the gen 3 Law Tactical folding adapter on sale:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/st ... 71553.aspx
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
rangertrace

Post by rangertrace »

I'm quickly exceeding my budget on this deal and saw the 8" complete upper by Aero Precision for like $450 retail. This would bring things back in line for me. Anything bad about Aero?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

generally speaking aero makes respectable quality stuff.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I'm left-handed and left eye dominant. I have always had right-handed ARs until I built my SBR last year. I love it. I bought a ambidextrous charging handle, safety, mag release and left handed upper from Stag arms. I'll never get another RH rifle if given the choice. I have learned to shoot auto handguns using my right hand and left eye fairly well. If I could find a lefty auto handgun, I'd buy it.
rangertrace

Post by rangertrace »

Well, I dropped the hammer on a 8" complete upper from Aero Precision today. $409 shipped with my LE discount. Of course that didn't include a BCG or charging handle, but I already had those anyway.

I realize they aren't Noveske, but I haven't read anything bad about them yet and their prices are awesome.