JP SCS Gen1 vrs Gen2

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tXr
Silent But Deadly

JP SCS Gen1 vrs Gen2

Post by tXr »

Well I had to snag another SCS for a new lower I just put together so I ordered up the JP SCS and it is the new Generation2 version.

The new one is noticeably lighter having a aluminum main shaft versus the steel shaft on the first generation. The 3 buffer weights are different between the two versions so they are not interchangeable so if you have spare heavy weights to use on a future SCS they will not work. First gen is on the right(below), the 2nd gen has the slightly different buffer mass weights to more closely match standard, H1, H2, and H3 weights.The springs are the same between the versions so you are good to go there.

The 1st Generation weighs in at 7.2 ounces,

The 2nd Generation weighs in at 5.3 ounces!
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
jimmyheadgear
Silent But Deadly

Re: JP SCS Gen1 vrs Gen2

Post by jimmyheadgear »

That's a pretty big weight difference.

Let us know how much of a difference, if any, you feel when you shoot it.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

I'm betting that weight difference is in the steel vs aluminum rod and not the buffer weights. It stays in place and holds the assemble together so it basically just makes the gun 2oz. lighter.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

You are correct in that the aluminum rod is what represents the primary weight loss, the weights are changed as well to more closely match the standard, h1, h2, and h3 weights and isn't really a big factor at all. I'll be swapping a spring around so I'll measure, weigh and compare the steel weights between the versions later this weekend.
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

I am glad to see they finally made the swap to aluminum. I replaced the shafts on mine with aluminum about a year ago. It made them noticeably lighter.

As for the weights......you should be able to "tune" with different weights. They make them in aluminum, steel and tungsten. I assume they are reverse compatible from the GEN 1 and GEN 2. It just gives you the opportunity to tune your own weight.

tXr - Can you measure the ID and OD of the new and old weights.....I certainly hope they didn't change.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Overton-AR wrote:
tXr - Can you measure the ID and OD of the new and old weights.....I certainly hope they didn't change.
Sorry, but the weights are not interchangeable between the two, the 1st Gen has an ID of .800" and the 2nd Gen has an ID of .750". Both have an OD of .960", and a length of .556".

This leads me to say that the 2nd Gen steel buffers have more buffering mass than the 1st Gen, not bad for also reducing the overall weight at the same time! I'll verify the actual weight at a later date, it became known amongst the family that I had the postal scale and it is at god only knows who's house at the moment, LOL