Hornady LNL AP Ammo Plant Press

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady LNL AP Ammo Plant Press

Post by SwampDog_13 »

I have enjoyed my lnl for the few years I've had it although for the 300blk I rarely use it as a true progressive press. I normally size and prime, than charge by hand, then come back to seat and crimp. The only real pain I have found with the lnl is the indexing throwing powder out the cases.

I started on this press and have no experience with any other so I can't say it's better or worse than any of em.
Last edited by SwampDog_13 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Dillon is local for me so seeing all their presses in person and having everyone who works there a reloader made it nice to go in and ask questions. They also had a lot of powder and bullets in stock that they don't advertise on their web store.

Hornady probably based their setup off of a Dillon lol

Dillon has a better caliber change system. That is what makes a Dillon so great. I found the Dillon cheaper than the Hornady AP and the Dillon is very easy and straightforward to use.

Everyone will have their preferences and their likes and dislikes.

Do I care what someone else thinks of my Dillon? Nope. :roll:

So arguing over which is better is pretty superfluous right now.

As to which is the best? Only the Sith deal in absolutes! :lol:
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

RaiderUSMC11 wrote:plus its blue and i don't like blue.
So why didn't you paint your walls entirely red?
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
RaiderUSMC11

Post by RaiderUSMC11 »

darr3239 wrote:
RaiderUSMC11 wrote:plus its blue and i don't like blue.
So why didn't you paint your walls entirely red?
Because the Marine Crops Dress Blue pants are Dark Blue with a Red Blood stripe. I spent 13 years with the Marine Crops thats the reason the wall is painted the way its painted. The Dillon blue is a powder or baby blue that same color the wife painted our baby's room. The blue on the wall is a Dark blue and is all most a perfect match for the blue on my Dress Blue pants.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0yRF0bmPGCeUKrppB-KsGg
Bud White

Post by Bud White »

I have a old lnl ap a low 4 digit Serial it issues loading 9mm it wont always index fully

only that caliber and a rare issue on 40 doing the same on 9 its ever 3rd round

i ordered a a set of pawls to try out and see if that will fix it they are the original and i've loaded couple hundred thousand on it .. One other issue with it is my large primer punch went missing after move i ordered a new one wont fit my press

Called Hornady and they no longer make the style i have they said ..but i guess if i have to get a new press for that will be a hornady

I do like the caliber change over on the lnl super easy and everything fits in small bins
Weber

Post by Weber »

I have both Dillon and the LNL in my reloading room. I like both, as they both have pros and cons and some features are better than the other.

Neither are trouble free, customer support has been much better with Hornady.
Shall not be infringed...
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Hornady CS is top notch. I sent them an email to ask about buying a part that I broke a few weeks ago. They sent me the part, under warranty, in less than a week.
RAPR
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAPR »

I purchased the Hornady LNL, I have no experience with the Dillon. I went with the Hornady due to the research I did at the time.
I'll be honestly, I have only used the LNL a half dozen times since I got it a couple years ago...as I became a father shortly after and lost most my free time.

The only aspect of the LNL I don't care for is the priming system. With 300blk I use nothing but ball powders. When priming I would sometimes get a primer to not seat all the way...OR I lose count of how many primers I have left in the tube. The next stroke up is to charge that casing, but with no primer in place the powder will just go everywhere (not LNL fault).
However, in this circumstance the ball powder gets into the sliding mechanism of the priming system and causes it to jam. This leaves the user to disassemble it if air compressor cant get debris clear. To disassemble, you have to first removed the primer feeding tube that is upside down and full of primers. Its a PITA to keep the primers from going everywhere during this removal. (if anyone has tips on this PLEASE share) This priming system does not tolerate debris at all in my experience, and compressed air rarely worked to clear it.

Other than the above, it was great.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

you could always pre-prime the brass prior to loading - especially if you have a case feeder throwing that brass in there for ya.

just a thought :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
RaiderUSMC11

Post by RaiderUSMC11 »

RAPR wrote:I purchased the Hornady LNL, I have no experience with the Dillon. I went with the Hornady due to the research I did at the time.
I'll be honestly, I have only used the LNL a half dozen times since I got it a couple years ago...as I became a father shortly after and lost most my free time.

The only aspect of the LNL I don't care for is the priming system. With 300blk I use nothing but ball powders. When priming I would sometimes get a primer to not seat all the way...OR I lose count of how many primers I have left in the tube. The next stroke up is to charge that casing, but with no primer in place the powder will just go everywhere (not LNL fault).
However, in this circumstance the ball powder gets into the sliding mechanism of the priming system and causes it to jam. This leaves the user to disassemble it if air compressor cant get debris clear. To disassemble, you have to first removed the primer feeding tube that is upside down and full of primers. Its a PITA to keep the primers from going everywhere during this removal. (if anyone has tips on this PLEASE share) This priming system does not tolerate debris at all in my experience, and compressed air rarely worked to clear it.

Other than the above, it was great.
I had the same problem I got the Hornady LNL deluxe control panel it monitors primers and primer level as well as other things you should check it out. All so check out a You Tube guy called 76highboy reloading he has tips and tricks video for getting the LNL setup and running super smooth I did what he said to do and mine runs super smooth with no problems.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0yRF0bmPGCeUKrppB-KsGg