My scratch built 300blk SB with custom Cerakote paint job

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: My scratch built 300blk SB with custom Cerakote paint job

Post by A-Game »

Nice job.

One of the weaknesses of Cerakote is not being able to handle your parts before you cure it.

It is one of the reasons I really like Gunkote. You can handle your parts all you want, with your bare hands, after a couple minutes so you can apply multiple layers of color and paint quickly.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
njneer75

Post by njneer75 »

steven11b wrote:Very cool! I believe the Omega comes with cerakote as it's factory finish for what it's worth.

It does, however if you want to put your own custom paint on the silencer, you have to strip off the factory Cerakote. After Cerakote is cured, another layer of paint won't adhere to it. I chose to strip off the factory finish and apply my own paint job.
njneer75

Post by njneer75 »

A-Game wrote:Nice job.

One of the weaknesses of Cerakote is not being able to handle your parts before you cure it.

It is one of the reasons I really like Gunkote. You can handle your parts all you want, with your bare hands, after a couple minutes so you can apply multiple layers of color and paint quickly.
Thanks for the props. Gunkote is a nice product and easy to handle as you say however it does not hold up as well as Cerakote for abrasion and rust. After the cure process is complete with Cerakote, the coating is extremely abrasion resistant and rust proof. A lot of folks are misled by fancy pictures of guns on the internet painted in grand schemes but what they fail to realize is the paint job is for show and tell. Sure you can paint a nice American flag on your weapon and put it in a case and take pictures but take it out to the range a few times or hunting and see what happens
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

You did a great job...that thing looks awesome!
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

njneer75 wrote:

Thanks for the props. Gunkote is a nice product and easy to handle as you say however it does not hold up as well as Cerakote for abrasion and rust. After the cure process is complete with Cerakote, the coating is extremely abrasion resistant and rust proof. A lot of folks are misled by fancy pictures of guns on the internet painted in grand schemes but what they fail to realize is the paint job is for show and tell. Sure you can paint a nice American flag on your weapon and put it in a case and take pictures but take it out to the range a few times or hunting and see what happens

I've seen no issues with rust or abrasion with Gunkote on my stuff. But my Gunsmith who painted them has been doing it for 25 years and is pretty good. It's used on FALs, AKs, and HK cerified refernishers. It is a thin finish so it can be used on parts with tight tolerances. My rifles that have been painted have a "paint over park" process. I do not paint so I don't have skin in the game. My observations are objective and if I thought Cerakote was game changing and far superior product I would have my rifles painted in it. I only speak to what I saw in my rifle being painted cured and only needing a little lube to run because it is a very very slick coating. I hate the feel of anodized aluminum handgaurds. Lol

Prep work is everything :) I do get to do my own sand blasting and Park. And I don't have safe queens ;) which is why my AR was painted In Geckouflage.

I like your paint job. I wasn't suggesting you should have used a different product. But I have seen Ceracoat isn't as nice to paint with as Gunkote because you can touch it with your bare fingers after a couple minutes. Heck the Lancer magazine in my picture wasn't even cured at low temp when I tossed it in the dirt(yes tossed as in dropped), rocks, grass, and layed it next to a tree for photos. It's a very good field rifle and battle rifle coating. I would definitely speak up if my rifle starts to rust or the coating scratches off.

Ive seen that AAC and SilencerCo Cerakote their cans and if Cerakote was the only paint that can withstand the temps of cans then I would paint my can and rifle to match using it. It's really no big deal to me because they both do the same thing well.

They are both far superior to "Duracoat".
Sherwin Williams Polane can be bought in bulk on the cheap and it's great for garage doors.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Nice artwork!

I have used Norrell's Molyresin on a lot of stuff. I stay away from the light colors because it shows dirt to easily. Molyresin doesn't need to be mixed, so results are more repeatable and there is no waste. It adds almost no thickness, so fitting stuff isn't as hard as cerakote. It is also easier to apply multiple coats/colors because it dries to the touch and isn't set until you bake it (300 deg). I don't think plastic could take 300.... My SDN6 paperwork says it is finished with Molyresin, so I assume it will withstand heat.
njneer75

Post by njneer75 »

A-Game wrote:
njneer75 wrote:

I've seen no issues with rust or abrasion with Gunkote on my stuff. But my Gunsmith who painted them has been doing it for 25 years and is pretty good. It's used on FALs, AKs, and HK cerified refernishers. It is a thin finish so it can be used on parts with tight tolerances. My rifles that have been painted have a "paint over park" process. I do not paint so I don't have skin in the game. My observations are objective and if I thought Cerakote was game changing and far superior product I would have my rifles painted in it. I only speak to what I saw in my rifle being painted cured and only needing a little lube to run because it is a very very slick coating. I hate the feel of anodized aluminum handgaurds. Lol

Prep work is everything :) I do get to do my own sand blasting and Park. And I don't have safe queens ;) which is why my AR was painted In Geckouflage.
"Safe Queens" hahaha thats so funny. I've never actually heard that before, I love it! But by all accounts I wasnt implying that your Gunkote process was any way inferior to my Cerakote. I apologize if it came across that way. Your rifle looks great. I'll have to read up a bit more on Gunkote. Thanks
njneer75

Post by njneer75 »

golfindia wrote:Nice artwork!

I have used Norrell's Molyresin on a lot of stuff. I stay away from the light colors because it shows dirt to easily. Molyresin doesn't need to be mixed, so results are more repeatable and there is no waste. It adds almost no thickness, so fitting stuff isn't as hard as cerakote. It is also easier to apply multiple coats/colors because it dries to the touch and isn't set until you bake it (300 deg). I don't think plastic could take 300.... My SDN6 paperwork says it is finished with Molyresin, so I assume it will withstand heat.
I've never heard of that product, I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the compliment.