Am I going to regret selling my AAC upper?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Am I going to regret selling my AAC upper?

Post by voip-1 »

Okay, pretty stupid question. I love how my 9" AAC Upper functions (perfectly) but am not a fan of the handguard. I bought a 9" BCM upper with the KMR handguard and it seems to run pretty well but I don't have enough through it to know if it is functionally as effective as the AAC piece without getting several hundred rounds suppressed/u suppressed with super/sub ammo to know.

I listed the AAC thinking it would take a couple of months to sell but looks like I have a potential buyer already.

I always thought if I wanted the "gold standard" that I could buy another one, maybe when AAC updates the handguard to the URX4 or similar. Now it seems that they might not be producing them again anytime soon.

Am I letting go of a piece of history by selling this thing?
teegee52
Silent Operator

Re: Am I going to regret selling my AAC upper?

Post by teegee52 »

I can't tell you how many guns I regret selling. Haven't sold one in almost 30 yrs, except a duplicate pistol I had, and that was to my brother. Tried to give it to him and he wouldn't hear of it. The ones I miss most are my WW II long gun collection that I had put together. Really didn't need the money, but people were offering what I thought was stupid money for them.
I bet if you sell your Blackout, you will miss and regret it.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

teegee52 wrote:I can't tell you how many guns I regret selling. Haven't sold one in almost 30 yrs, except a duplicate pistol I had, and that was to my brother. Tried to give it to him and he wouldn't hear of it. The ones I miss most are my WW II long gun collection that I had put together. Really didn't need the money, but people were offering what I thought was stupid money for them.
I bet if you sell your Blackout, you will miss and regret it.
Thanks for your thoughts, it's not the only 300 that I have. If I knew the BCM was completely equivalent I wouldn't be questioning the decision. I will try to do some more testing before I let the AAC go.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

As a rule, I don't sell guns. I've regretted it enough times already.

Can you swap the handguard out yourself on the AAC upper?
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

DutchV wrote:As a rule, I don't sell guns. I've regretted it enough times already.

Can you swap the handguard out yourself on the AAC upper?
That's kind of where this all started. I was only able to find one or two replacement keymod/mlok (I would prefer mlok) hand guards that would work at the 8" length of the URX 3.1. I realized that if I was goi g to go through the hassle of swapping the handguard and barrel nut it might be more financially prudent to simply sell the whole upper as a unit and use the funds to build a new upper around Noveske or Daniel Defense barrel.
triehl27
Silent Operator

Post by triehl27 »

It's a handguard issue for cripes sake. You like the KMR Handguard, Swap it over. If it isn't the right size check the manufacturer for the right size, order it.
EDITED, they are both 9" guns, just swap the parts out call it good, there is NO reason to be considering giving up a perfect upper that you like.
NEVER get rid of a gun you enjoy, for something you don't enjoy as much. That simple.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I completely understand your dilemma. I had a factory Noveske Low Pro 8.2" upper. I loved it but the rails were annoying. I sampled the newer NSR HGs. It didn't work for me, too skinny. I sold the upper and assembled exactly what I wanted. I don't regret the decision.
Last edited by strobro32 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Change the handguard!
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

Don't do it.

That said, how much you want for it ?
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

steven11b wrote:Change the handguard!
The only 8" m-lok hand guard I can find is one from SLR. Don't really know anything about those guys.