Straight Pull Bolt Action Project Decision Help!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

s11033

Straight Pull Bolt Action Project Decision Help!

Post by s11033 »

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while! Since my last post I built my first 300 BLK (10.5" SBR) using Palmetto State Armory components. I also bought a Specwar 7.62 to go with it. I've since become obsessed with silent shooting and am working on a couple projects now including a big bore bolt action rifle that fires subsonic .50 BMG projectiles out of cut off Remington Ultra Mag cases and a suppressed .30 Lee Enfield inspired by the DeLisle Carbine. I'll write more on those elsewhere if anyone is interested!

Anyhow, I want to build a short barreled AR upper that can be fired single shot for maximum sound suppression and am tossing around a couple of ideas.

My first idea was to buy a side-charging reciprocating bolt handle upper like the LAR Grizzly OPS 4 (first link below), get an 8" barrel, plug the gas port, omit the gas tube and run it as a straight pull bolt action without an action spring. If I can run that without an action spring, and please tell me if that's not a good idea for some reason, I would cut the bolt carrier behind the point where the firing pin protrudes (pictures in the second post on the second link below) and install an ACE folding stock with no buffer tube (third link below). It could be a short, light and very quiet setup. I would still have my PSA semi auto that I mentioned before, but I'd have to switch the stocks around since I only have one SBR lower as of now.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/LAR_Gri ... ripped.htm
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/65800 ... ml&error=2#
http://riflestocks.com/store/product39.html

My second idea was to buy an Innovative Arms WAR upper (first link below), which has a neat gas valve in the upper that can be used to turn the gas off. I'd add JP silent springs (second link below) and a Troy Arms side charging handle (third link below). The WAR upper cannot have a reciprocating bolt handle added due to the presence of a forward assist, and case deflector, so I'd use that side charger because I think the existing handle would be inconvenient to pull after every shot. This option would offer the firepower of semi auto and the stealth of bolt action, but would not offer equally positive control over the feeding in single shot mode due to the lack of a reciprocating charging handle.

http://innovativearms.com/war/
https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-15K
http://trojanfirearms.com/en/ar-15-gen- ... ing-handle

Any thoughts on either of these projects? Any reasons why they might not work as intended? Is there something I haven't thought of that might help me decide which option to pursue? Does anybody have a straight pull AR? Is a straight pull significantly quieter than a semi with the JP silent captive springs?

Thanks a lot for the input!

Steve
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Re: Straight Pull Bolt Action Project Decision Help!

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...if it's to be a "dedicated" single shot, a standard bolt actioned rifle like the RARR would probably cost less than the parts to build an AR platform. The cost savings could be applied to a dedicated can for the single shot.

...if it's for the "occasional single shot" usage, then an adjustable gas system would would achieve your goal...
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

CVA has a single-shot rifle & pistol in 300 Blackout that have gotten good reviews. Both already threaded, too.

As for the AR, you could just call a barrel maker and ask for one without a gas port. If they're really doing it themselves that won't be hard at all.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
F224
Senior Silent Operator

Post by F224 »

Have you thought about a Blaser R93 or R8? There is a custom barrel maker who can do a 300BLKOUT barrel for you, here is mine:

It shoots sub moa with both factory Barns-X loads and Remington subsonics. The added benifit of being able to shoot everything from 17hmr to 500 Jeffries with just a bolt head and barrel change that takes one minute. Not to mention that if you buy them right,your resale value will only go up over time. Ever try to sell a used custom AR or M700 for more than 30-40% on the dollar?
Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the LAR OPS-4 is out of production and has been for a while now. Freedom Group bought the company and mothballed it.

if you want the next closest thing - you'll have to get one from Crosshill Technologies
http://shop.crosshilltech.com/collectio ... -receivers

their smith is the same guy who used to be part of LAR before they got put out to pasture.

HTH
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

I have thought about doing this for a .223. Currently I have bolt & semi of both .308 and 300blk but only have semi/AR for .223 so kinda wanted something different but also single shot. After coming across the POF Revolt that really caught my interest...except they are way overpriced and the charging handle they came up with is fugly to me.

Now I don't have any experience with the idea so these are just my feelings. The LAR option would be nice with or without cutting down the bolt carrier and it does allow you to keep positive control on the bolt. I think if you're going for absolute minimum noise then LAR is going to be the way to go maybe with the JP springs if you dont go with your folder option.

I like the side charger - charging handle option as well. Can't say I've ever rode the charging handle back closed to see how much force it needs to pick up the next round and lock into battery but maybe you could find the point where you can release it with just enough spring back to go into battery and make less noise? But correct, this option wont give you full control of the bolt operations.

If you're into machining, then maybe you could find a way to attach the charging handle to the gas key so you would have full control?

As was already said it's not a cheap way to go about making a single shot, but it is different.
s11033

Post by s11033 »

DutchV wrote:CVA has a single-shot rifle & pistol in 300 Blackout that have gotten good reviews. Both already threaded, too.

As for the AR, you could just call a barrel maker and ask for one without a gas port. If they're really doing it themselves that won't be hard at all.

Thank you for those alternatives. I'm looking for a repeating rifle, so I am currently not looking at the CVAs or Handi Rifles.

I actually tried reaching out to a couple barrel makers -Ballistic Advantage and RSM Manufacturing- about a barrel with no port. They both said that they make their barrels in batches and do not take one-off special orders. I have sent a message to Green Mountain. Hopefully they'll give me an alternative. Otherwise I will just install a gas block backwards and should get a pretty good seal after not cleaning for a few dozen rounds suppressed.

Best,

Steve
s11033

Post by s11033 »

F224 wrote:Have you thought about a Blaser R93 or R8? There is a custom barrel maker who can do a 300BLKOUT barrel for you, here is mine:

It shoots sub moa with both factory Barns-X loads and Remington subsonics. The added benifit of being able to shoot everything from 17hmr to 500 Jeffries with just a bolt head and barrel change that takes one minute. Not to mention that if you buy them right,your resale value will only go up over time. Ever try to sell a used custom AR or M700 for more than 30-40% on the dollar?
Ah yes, a work of art indeed. I have fired one a couple years ago and it was a great experience. Unfortunately I just graduated from college last May and am working my first full time job. So I only spend the big bucks on vintage military rifles with an exception here or there.

My approach for my non-USGI firearms is to seek maximum value in terms of functionality to cost. I'll have a Blaser in my safe someday though!

Best,

Steve
Last edited by s11033 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

s11033 wrote:
DutchV wrote:CVA has a single-shot rifle & pistol in 300 Blackout that have gotten good reviews. Both already threaded, too.

Thank you for those alternatives. I'm looking for a repeating rifle, so I am currently not looking at the CVAs or Handi Rifles.

I actually tried reaching out to a couple barrel makers -Ballistic Advantage and RSM Manufacturing- about a barrel with no port. They both said that they make their barrels in batches and do not take one-off special orders. I have sent a message to Green Mountain. Hopefully they'll give me an alternative. Otherwise I will just install a gas block backwards and should get a pretty good seal after not cleaning for a few dozen rounds suppressed.

Best,

Steve
Green mountain has a gunsmith version of their AR barrels. The have the extension mounted and chambered, but not contoured so I doubt they have a gas port in them.

You might need to step up to an actual barrel maker instead of someone who starts with a bored blank.

I know these guys will do it any way you want it, but it won't be a $100 project. They have done any custom feature I have ever asked.
http://www.x-caliber.net/
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
s11033

Post by s11033 »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...if it's to be a "dedicated" single shot, a standard bolt actioned rifle like the RARR would probably cost less than the parts to build an AR platform. The cost savings could be applied to a dedicated can for the single shot.

...if it's for the "occasional single shot" usage, then an adjustable gas system would would achieve your goal...
Very valid points and I think they give more direction to my decision.

The primary reason I'd like to build something on the AR platform is that I do not believe that the subsonic 300 BLK gains anything from barrels longer than 8"-10.5" and I really only run subs in this caliber because of my newly found silence obsession. It would bug me to have to run a 16" barrel on a 300, especially on a manually operated rifle. So I'd like to make something that will allow me to use my SBRed AR lower if possible.

The secondary reason is that I want my build to be mag fed, and the only option currently on the market would be to buy a Mossberg MVP and have a custom Savage barrel made for it. I think this option would be valid, but would not let me run a short barrel.

I am beginning to think that I should take a lesson from the F35 program and not try to fill too many very different roles with a single upper... :P

Cheers,

Steve
Last edited by s11033 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.