Have questions about the various scopes available.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

holbrecht

Have questions about the various scopes available.

Post by holbrecht »

I'm looking to shoot subsonics (Probably 220gr,) out to about 350-400 yards max. I'm cautious about buying into the BDCs out there as a couple of reviews have stated they're way off outside 300 yards.

Most the reticles available seem to be made for 200 yards or less.

I might be looking for a unicorn here, but I'd like variable optic scope (1-5 or 1-6 preferably,) with the ability to shoot 25-400yards with subsonic (even if that means the scope has 15+ milhashes in view.) Cash isn't an object. I've ruled out the VCog due to the BDC more or less limiting me to 200 yards.

The Pitbull 2 1-6x seems to have 15mil hashes which would be roughly where I estimate I'd need to put a 220 grain out of an 8.5in barrel.

But so far, these are the only ones I've found.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Have questions about the various scopes available.

Post by smustian »

A 220g projectile, subsonic speed at the muzzle, at 400 yards would be almost dropping vertically in my mind.
holbrecht

Post by holbrecht »

I do it all day long, but I've zero'd a Nightforce scope just for that purpose. Varmints off the back porch. I want something with a little bit more flexibility to take advantage of supersonics, as well.

I agree at 375 (which is what I'm really shooting,) it's dropping a lot.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

There's only so much room in the scope. I have a little 3 x and with a 50 yard zero there's only enough room to go out to 300. Any mil or moa scope will work you just have to find your hold Unders as well as the hold overs. Just put a 200 yd zero on it maybe even 250. I know it's 36 moa between 50 and 300 or close to that. It's fun bc of how long it takes to get there especially ringing steel.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

A 220gn Sierra @ 1050fps zeroed at 100 yrds will have 208 inches of drop at 400 yrds Even with a 200 yrd zero it will have over 200 inches of drop.
Havent seen too many scopes with that much adjustment.
holbrecht

Post by holbrecht »

TMD wrote:A 220gn Sierra @ 1050fps zeroed at 100 yrds will have 208 inches of drop at 400 yrds Even with a 200 yrd zero it will have over 200 inches of drop.
Havent seen too many scopes with that much adjustment.
I know, it's a tall order. But I THINK I found one. It's a variable optic from US Optics. It has 15 hashmarks, which by my VERY VERY VERY loose calculations (with using my current scope as a stable,) should be almost exactly right, and it's variable (which is what I was looking for,) presuming Night Force and US Optics adhere to the same scientific definition of a mil :P

I don't know much about US Optics, but it wouldn't be the first time I throw away my money and it won't be my last if it doesn't work out haha
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The Leupold Mark 6 Product #M6C1 or Mark 4 Product #113594 would get the job done.

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
holbrecht

Post by holbrecht »

Dr.Phil wrote:The Leupold Mark 6 Product #M6C1 or Mark 4 Product #113594 would get the job done.

This was the one I was most interested in, but a couple reviews had problems with the BDC. I ended up buying one anyway, along with the US Optics. So I'll report back my findings with the two.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

holbrecht wrote:
Dr.Phil wrote:The Leupold Mark 6 Product #M6C1 or Mark 4 Product #113594 would get the job done.

This was the one I was most interested in, but a couple reviews had problems with the BDC. I ended up buying one anyway, along with the US Optics. So I'll report back my findings with the two.
....if you find neither of those suit your preferences, you might be interested in the Athlon Optics "CRONUS" line, offered in either MOA or MIL. Lots of good things being said about Athlon over on the SNIPERSHIDE forum.

Regardless of brand, you will always need to do your own "ballistic matching" of your ammo's drops to the scopes reticle.