New build with problems

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: New build with problems

Post by bangbangping »

r.tenorio671 wrote:....FWIW, although I'm a big proponent of adjustable gas blocks, SLR's specifically, there are many on the market at varying prices so you should be able to acquire one within your budget if you decide to go that route, but I would recommend you choose one from a reputable company, not the cheapest you can find on Amazon or Ebay.
Good advice. I would add stay away from the Syrac. They have a tendency to become expensive nonadjustable gas blocks rather quickly.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

You have never directly addressed port size and whether it's carbine or pistol length gas. If I missed it sorry, hoping to not miss the obvious.

The other question is the buffer tube. You mentioned replacing the rifle stock and buffer, did you also replace the buffer tube, that might explain the need for quarters if you did not.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

And...Are you still using the same mag? Could make a difference.
zedtwentyate

Post by zedtwentyate »

dellet wrote:You have never directly addressed port size and whether it's carbine or pistol length gas. If I missed it sorry, hoping to not miss the obvious.

The other question is the buffer tube. You mentioned replacing the rifle stock and buffer, did you also replace the buffer tube, that might explain the need for quarters if you did not.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but its a carbine gas system. That's why i swapped the stock to begin with. When replacing the stock, I replaced the tube and spring and buffer. I have two carbine springs and two standard buffers that I've been playing around with. One came with the stock and one was an amazon order. Neither seems to respond differently than the other.

As far as port size, I have no idea. I guess it could be the wrong size. I'll tear it down again and see if I can measure it. Not sure if my vintage calipers are up for the job. Any other creative ways to measure the port size? I have a set of machinists index drill bits. Maybe that will give me an idea of the size...

Cant say it enough guys (and gals)...I appreciate the help.
zedtwentyate

Post by zedtwentyate »

dtom29 wrote:And...Are you still using the same mag? Could make a difference.

I'm using 4 different mags. Two hexmags and two cheapo metal mags. Nothing indicates one is causing the issue...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

zedtwentyate wrote:
dellet wrote:You have never directly addressed port size and whether it's carbine or pistol length gas. If I missed it sorry, hoping to not miss the obvious.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but its a carbine gas system. That's why i swapped the stock to begin with. When replacing the stock, I replaced the tube and spring and buffer. I have two carbine springs and two standard buffers that I've been playing around with. One came with the stock and one was an amazon order. Neither seems to respond differently than the other.

As far as port size, I have no idea. I guess it could be the wrong size. I'll tear it down again and see if I can measure it. Not sure if my vintage calipers are up for the job. Any other creative ways to measure the port size? I have a set of machinists index drill bits. Maybe that will give me an idea of the size...

Cant say it enough guys (and gals)...I appreciate the help.
As long as your caliper is a dial or digital you should be fine. Just use the back side intended for internal measurements. If it's the a Vernier caliper you should probably replace it if you are going to use it for reloading. Drill bits will also be good enough for now.

The big thing that stuck out was the picture you posted of the barrel with the block removed It looked like it was leaking towards the shoulder of the barrel.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

You can also insert drill bits into the hole to get the size if the calipers do not work. Big problem is you would need a machinist set to find the exact size more than likely.
Last edited by smustian on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Insert drill bit, use caliper to measure it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
zedtwentyate

Post by zedtwentyate »

smustian wrote:You can also insert drill bits into the hole to get the size if the calipers do not work. Big problem is you would need a machinist set to find the exact size more than likely.

I do have a set of about 200 machinists bits...I'll check it out.

What size should the hole be?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

zedtwentyate wrote:
smustian wrote:You can also insert drill bits into the hole to get the size if the calipers do not work. Big problem is you would need a machinist set to find the exact size more than likely.

I do have a set of about 200 machinists bits...I'll check it out.

What size should the hole be?
There is no right answer to your question. Each manufacturer seems to use a different hole size. Measure yours and let us know what it is.