flying suppressor!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Re: flying suppressor!

Post by RAINS »

Wow talk about worst case! I hope you can find it!

R
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

That's better than the proverbial boating accident.

Good luck.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

thanks for the sympathy gang. it really does suck. I'm pretty sure I will recover it, how soon is the question. the creek where I lost it is on my property and nobody else goes there. I'm sure when the water goes down the can will be buried in sand so it will take a metal detector to find it so even if someone trespasses its doubtful they would find it.
I doubt it had a baffle strike because like I mentioned earlier, it happened twice before but only on the Mini 14. and neither times was a baffle strike. I'm pretty sure the QD mount is to blame. the lock ring never seemed right but never having one before I didn't know for sure. I assumed the problem was the muzzle brake on the Mini. I have been racking my brain trying to figure how to put a "safety tether" on it incase it happens again. I am so glad I wasn't on my boat offshore when it happened! after this, I doubt I will ever take the suppressor on the boat! too risky unless I come up with a REALLY good safety line. even then I would be leery!
peace through superior firepower
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

I was thinking along the lines of putting a suppressor cover on it, and then tying to the cover with 550 cord. Given that most of the deer I have shot have been from a boat, it's a real concern for me.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I think your Omega is a SEAL now. It was on land, traveled by air, and is now in the sea. If only it was a Trident, it would've earned it. BTW- good luck on the recovery.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

ncorry wrote:I think your Omega is a SEAL now. It was on land, traveled by air, and is now in the sea. If only it was a Trident, it would've earned it. BTW- good luck on the recovery.
Well played my man... Well played!
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
smullen

Post by smullen »

OP any updates on this????

If not, how long do you think it'll be before the water drops???
Larueminati
NRA Lifetime Patron Member
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I'm going up there this weekend. we haven't gotten any rain in a while so I hope the creek is down. if not I have a big magnet rigged up and a buddy who makes his living diving in dirty water offered to put a tank on & look for me. I just have to stand guard with a rifle incase the big gators are around. I hope we are able to find it quickly. I really miss shooting suppressed once I got a taste of it!
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

This is the craziest story, I really hope you get it back! I'd like to see a pic where it sent in and what it looks like after you find it. Good Luck!
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I FOUND IT!! :mrgreen: the creek wen't down quite a bit but still was almost 5 ft deep where I lost the can. first I tried the magnet. all I caught was a bunch of rusted out 7.62x39 cases. after I lost the magnet and hadn't seen any big gators, I got the metal detector and went in. I didn't bring any dive gear so I waded. when I got a hit I had to feel for it with my bare feet. after a while of finding all the bullets & shell casings I shot into the creek, I finally felt something long & round that was metal. it was full of sand and debris and had a bit of rust on the lock ring but looked pretty good. I took it apart as much as possible and hosed it out. when no more sand came out I took a wire brush to the rust on the lock ring and some weird chemical reaction looking growth inside the end cap. the Titanium looked as good as new. then I gave the whole thing a WD 40 douche. I looked it over good and didn't see any signs of a baffle strike or other damage so I put it on the Mini 14 and ran a 30 rd. mag. of super sonics thru it. (didn't think to bring any subs. duh!! :roll: ) needless to say, I did my shooting over dry land this time. everything seems to be ok. other than the lock ring missing its blueing, the can looks as good as the day I lost it. 8)