Eotech issues refund for all models ever sold

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Re: Eotech issues refund for all models ever sold

Post by steven11b »

IMGrunt wrote:What are folks recommending as a replacement purchase? I'm currently running an XPS2 300BO on a DD ISR 300BO. Light to medium use for hunting and target shooting in cold temps. I just submitted my refund request and I'm leary to spend an additional $200 on a T-2 replacement; but I will if it's the best choice. Options (Not based on brand love-fest safe rifle but actual usage)? Thanks in advance.
I just ordered a Trijicon MRO with low mount. I am not a fan of how small the glass is on the aimpoint t1 and 2. The MRO has visible brightness setting and 5mm larger lens. The biggest reason is I just ordered it for $480 with mount shipped from midway.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

Let me know how you like it. The MRO is one of the sights SOCOM is considering for the Eotech replacement. Only thing I've seen IRT the MRO is that the sight washes out when shooting from shade into bright sunlight. Not sure how true.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

steven11b wrote:I have been a eotech user in combat, civilian and LE duties. Sad to see this come out and that there is an obvious serious problem when no matter when it was manufactured, as in this year and they will refund your money. I have always defended the battery life comparisons and absolutley love the reticle! Now I feel as I have to return mine and look at some other optic.

They don't even say a certain lot or year range and to me that says that all of them are probaly effected.
So, your Eotechs have worked fine, even in combat and you are going to switch? Truly curious, here

I don't consider any alternatives as CQC equals, (yeah, battery life sucks but even the 123 batteries are now available in rechargeables and that big, beautiful donut is worth it) and I've handled or shot them all (barring a few truly recent makes)
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I sent mine back as soon as they said a refund would be issued for the purchase price . I recieved an e-mail that stated payment would be in the form of a check . I liked the eotech but not enough to buy another, I had an xps-2-2 300 blackout version in less than 1 year after purchase I had to send it back because the glass become delaminated so I had this in the back of my mind all the time would it happen again or not . I am debating either a primary arms 1x6 or just getting another aimpoint pro . I have never had an issue with the aimpoint , its always there , always on and I hit what the red dot is on .
I recently bought a c-more railway sight with a 2 moa dot to put on my ak and liked it so much I stuck it on my blackout pistol instead .

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

BlackLight wrote:
steven11b wrote:I have been a eotech user in combat, civilian and LE duties. Sad to see this come out and that there is an obvious serious problem when no matter when it was manufactured, as in this year and they will refund your money. I have always defended the battery life comparisons and absolutley love the reticle! Now I feel as I have to return mine and look at some other optic.

They don't even say a certain lot or year range and to me that says that all of them are probaly effected.
So, your Eotechs have worked fine, even in combat and you are going to switch? Truly curious, here

I don't consider any alternatives as CQC equals, (yeah, battery life sucks but even the 123 batteries are now available in rechargeables and that big, beautiful donut is worth it) and I've handled or shot them all (barring a few truly recent makes)

I'm lost as well. I have one on my Leonidas, love it. They've been used forever, and a lot of people love them, but all of a sudden they're crap and they all need to be returned? What exactly is so bad about them as of yesterday?
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

BlackLight wrote:

I am not going to talk down the sight, I just feel that if the company is giving no questions asked refunds there is something alarmingly wrong. I fully understand you questioning my decision as I stated I have had 0 problems with them. Just reading the fact that they randomly have POI shifts in cold weather and I also read that some won't rezero after the shift is enough for me to move to something else. If they said it was only xxxx year to xxxx year or that they would switch it out I would make a different decision.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

DoubleJ wrote:
BlackLight wrote:

I'm lost as well. I have one on my Leonidas, love it. They've been used forever, and a lot of people love them, but all of a sudden they're crap and they all need to be returned? What exactly is so bad about them as of yesterday?
Well, this didn't start yesterday, they have been crap for a long time, they knew they had issues since 2006 and should have been returned people's money long ago:

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/30/us ... us-goings/

Executive summary is the sights have thermal drift and paralax shift. They were sold to people as not having thermal drift or paralax shift.

This was covered up for a long time (see UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. L-3 COMMUNICATIONS EOTECH, INC., L-3 COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, and PAUL MANGANO). EOTech can't fix either issue, and rather than try they simply reworded their user manuals in June.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

I see merit on both sides. Perhaps strangely, I interpret the unconditional refund as one of those things we expect of a company that's "making things right" after a problem. The "wrong" course of action I think would involve nickel-and-dime, same-model-only swap, no confidence they did anything to the replacement, etc. I also trained on the EOTech, and have never had a problem, so I'll stick with them. Even granting that more problems may crop up later, if that occurs we already have seen how EOTech handles issues (granted, the threat of a massive class-action lawsuit is a motivator). Until I get some inside information on what EOTech has done (personnel moves, manufacturing changes, etc.) all I can do is speculate.

I guess it boils down to one's personal level of risk vs. brand loyalty.

{Edit - didn't see GI's post before submitting. If EOTech can't fix the issue, that would certainly change my calculus. }
Last edited by BoomerVF14 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

I've been an Eotech user and fan for many years...both on duty rifles and for personal use. At this point it pains me to send my current personal sight in but I'm just not willing to flush almost $600 down the tube if I start having issues. I deal with a wide variation of temperatures here in Colorado and I'm not going to take the risk. Drat...
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
MackTheKnife

Post by MackTheKnife »

BlackLight wrote:I always keep records/receipts.. but in this case I won't need them since I'm happy with my Eotechs
Me, too. I have two XPS's and the magnifier. No issues with extreme Florida heat. Can't speak to extreme cold obviously. Christmas day was 82 degrees.
MTK sends.

"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
Sir Winston Churchill