4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by gds »

Now only click on this if you wish to read an article with half truths and an extremely misleading title. and may get you blood pressure up a little bit.

only click it if you think you can keep calm while reading a horribly written article with limited actual facts

You have been warned

http://www.homedefensegun.net/300-blackout/
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by FOB »

Just picked that up from another forum.

Sheesh, and I don't even own a sub version.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

he writes for shotgun news too doesnt he? :roll:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

plant.one wrote:he writes for shotgun news too doesnt he? :roll:
not sure. stopped getting shotgun news several years back, when I realized that Fred's articles every issue were pretty much the same
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Sky_DiveR

Post by Sky_DiveR »

Sorry if I'm alittle slow and I don't mean to anger anybody but can somebody explain the lies and half-truths to me? Keep in mind that I'm also behind enemy lines and can't legally have a suppressor. I also don't have a 300BLK but I have friends that do and the round does intrigue me.

I understand that the round was originally designed to overcome the shortcomings of the 5.56 at contact distances and to have the 7.62x39 advantages within an AR platform without the issues of using the x39 round. What I don't seem to see is what the half-truths are. It seems to be merely an opinion piece to me. This is what I took away from the article...

The 300BLK traveling at subsonic velocities is traveling at pistol velocities. OTC ammo (from what little I've seen) most likely will not upset at those velocities. So basically you have FMJ results from a subsonic round (similar to a pistol). Now I'm sure that changes with handloading say a Barnes or other specialty bullet but the average gun owner does not handload. Thus going back to OTC ammo.

The subsonic 300BLK is giving up the advantage of using a big rifle/carbine instead of compact pistol (similar to using a pistol caliber carbine).

I personally don't know what the crooks are using nowadays so I can't comment on that aspect.

The 300BLK at supersonic velocities is not a bad defense option (as I've noted above in what it was originally designed for).

The 300BLK can be loaded into a 5.56 chamber with catastrophic results. I originally thought, what kind of dummy would load a 300BLK into a 5.56 chambered rifle but humans can and do make mistakes. I've personally seen 2 KB's directly related to this so it does happen.

Other than the title that is kinda misleading but the author corrects himself in the first sentence I don't see the lies and half-truths. Can somebody help me out here?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Article is poorly written, not that I could do better. However the title is purposely misleading, and article is full of half truths.

But I will agree, a 208gr amax, a 220 SMK, or any other standard 30 cal bullet, at sub velocities is a horrible HD round. a Lehigh defense 194gr however vs a 9mm hollow point, well the Lehigh wins hands down. I can give the author a list of expanding subsonic capable 30 cal bullets that do tremendous damage, but something tells me he would not be interested, because it goes against his uninformed preconceived ideology.

Now having said that. I fully agree and recommend and even have in my 300blk HD AR 110gr supersonic expanding rounds.leave my barrel at 2250fps

and if anyones reason for not going 300blk is because a lightweight supersonic round with improper neck tension might chamber in a 5.56 AR, then I suggest that you sell all of your guns, because you clearly are not capable of owning and shooting guns safely.

of course the funny part of that is, the article is based on subsonic rounds and then he brings up the fitting in the chamber thing. hate to tell him, but a heavy grain sub is not going to chamber. I have tried it with 200 and 220smk's, 208gr amax, and cast bullets, 200gr lee, 230gr lee and 247gr NOE. the only way one might get those to chamber in a 5.56 chamber is to take a fired unsized 300blk case and stick a bullet in it with no neck tension whatsoever, and maybe a few of those might chamber, but those would not be loaded and they would have no powder so the only thing they would to is become a pain getting out of the chamber, but why bother with facts when we can have failed BS theories.

now to the body armor thing, are we talking soft body armor or plates? or an armored personnel carrier?

never mind, as a safe bet dump it all an go with a M2 .50 cal just to be sure.

the armor argument is simply a red herring

in the end the article is garbage, and sad, because it could have been a well written and informative article.

and this is with just a cursory overview.
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

A TLDR for those who don't want to read that drivel;

Muh glawk fo'dee is one handed and can hide it more good, plus 300blk cant pen armor. And then other rifle are better cuz cheep ammo, and don't talk to me about muzzle blast in muh howse. And when a full mag isn't enough to stop da lizard ppl invading and you go to reload you load wrong ammo in gun and blow yourself up.

Sorry guys I had to, I almost want to post that on his site.
cdynaco
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdynaco »

gds wrote: A) and if anyones reason for not going 300blk is because a lightweight supersonic round with improper neck tension might chamber in a 5.56 AR, then I suggest that you sell all of your guns, because you clearly are not capable of owning and shooting guns safely.

B) of course the funny part of that is, the article is based on subsonic rounds and then he brings up the fitting in the chamber thing. hate to tell him, but a heavy grain sub is not going to chamber. I have tried it with 200 and 220smk's, 208gr amax, and cast bullets, 200gr lee, 230gr lee and 247gr NOE. the only way one might get those to chamber in a 5.56 chamber is to take a fired unsized 300blk case and stick a bullet in it with no neck tension whatsoever, and maybe a few of those might chamber, but those would not be loaded and they would have no powder so the only thing they would to is become a pain getting out of the chamber, but why bother with facts when we can have failed BS theories.

C) now to the body armor thing, are we talking soft body armor or plates? or an armored personnel carrier?
the armor argument is simply a red herring
A) I agree completely!
I have clearly identifiable differences between MSR's whether its in daylight or darkness. Just like pistols. Not to mention I have a brain.

B) I haven't tried like you but your point makes sense. Not sure how a 300 could "chamber" into a 5.56 by forcing the bullet into the brass unless the round had no powder in it.

C) I don't know anything about body armor but on TV it always looks like it hurts. If that is true, that slow moving 220gr sub round has gotta hurt!
He didn't take that into consideration, just penetration with a propped up bag behind the armor. Not realisitic.
Charliehorse
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

A shorter bullet with a some what loose neck tension can chamber in an 5.56 AR. has been done with catastrophic results. I doubted the possibility until someone posted a blown up gun.

I went out and loaded a dummy round and tried it. sure enough it will chamber. then I got to messing with other bullets to test, and there is no way a long heavy grain loaded round is going to chamber.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the article shows a failed penetration with a rem 220 OTM subsonic in level IIIA body armor. no shocker. it can stop a FMJ bullet with that soft plate.

but takes into no account what 500 Ft/lbs slamming into your chest repeatedly at 21' does to your ribs and chest cavity. that energy has to go somewhere. i know i wouldnt want that slamming against my sternum & ribs even with a plate in between it catching the bullet.

and quite honestly, the guy talks out of both sides of his mouth for most of the article. on one side criticizing the hell out of it, on the other side saying its able to do the very same role well with nothing more than an ammo change. which goes against his title of why its a bad choice for home defense. he basically debunks every viewpoint he presents as a problem himself.

so had his title been "4 reasons subsonic 300 blackout ...." well... you get where i'm coming from.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.