First bad experience with Hornday customer service

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

First bad experience with Hornday customer service

Post by Alex Wilson »

Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to make this a Dillon vs Hornady. I own products from both companies. Never had an issue with either one until today. Hornady did fix it but damn. Don't let any employee tell you they won't replace a broken product.

Anyway I was processing some Blackout LC brass on my AP using hornady dies. My spindle in my resizing die stripped out causing it to bend, gouge the sizing ball, and break the primer punch. As mad as I was that that happen I wasn't too worried. Figured one call to hornady and the parts would be put in the mail. Boy was I wrong.

I called hornady and talked to one of the women in sales. Told her my problem and her exact quote was, "that's not really our problem. I can't replace that." I lost it on her. I had to remind her of Hornady's 100% guarantee. She attempted some sort of rebuttal but I didn't want to hear it, got transferred to one of the techs and he sent me everything no problems.

Has anyone else ever had a problem with Hornady? Did they change something or are being harder on their customers? The tech sent me everything I asked for. I just think it was really weird. All of my die sets (10+) and 2/3 of my presses are from them. So I'm not anti-red by any means. Every time I've ever called Dillon, they ask what I broke and say "it's in the mail". They've never asked what I was doing to break it.
Maximumbob54

Re: First bad experience with Hornday customer service

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I am still burned by Hornady. I built a full LNL AP to include the case feeder and bullet feeder. I setup the case feeder and used that setup for a while and finally got around to installing the bullet feeder. It's missing a few small pieces that are specific to the company and can't be bought in a hardware store. Called customer service and was told they don't deal with that issue, I have to call tech support. Tech support is only open Mon through Fri banker's hours. Took a day off for other purposes and finally got to call them. Told them the parts listed in the manual and even had pics to send them if needed. Complete run around. End of story I still don't have the parts to make the bullet feeder work. Also bought their Autocharge electronic powder measure. Despite being wrapped in bubble wrap for a move it seems to have died. Not warrantied. To be fair on that one, none of the electronic powder measures are warrantied from what I've read. So they have several hundred dollars from me in gear that collects dust. Add to that the one set of "New Dimension" dies I have in .45 ACP I cannot keep the Zip spindle from breaking over and over.
FWest

Post by FWest »

Recently I violated my 223 sizing die from Hornady. Called and got a very slight run around but kept it civil , figured out it was due to not sending in the registration on the back page of the booklet included with the dies. I agreed to register my dies and the lady agreed to replace my spindle and expander. Don't understand why they won't make things right on your case feeder. I would call weekly at least until I got the parts.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the first two experiences are 180 degrees from my experience.

i was having trouble with my case feeder not holding alignment where the upper and lower part of the bar join together. this was giving me troubles feeding.

i called and spoke with a tech, spent a few mins going over the issue and he mailed the parts to me (a new V block to go inside where the two peices join) with no hassle at all.

maybe they need to do a better job at directing calls to the proper people, or have a specific person(s) who are responsible for warranty issues.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alex Wilson »

FWest wrote:Recently I violated my 223 sizing die from Hornady. Called and got a very slight run around but kept it civil , figured out it was due to not sending in the registration on the back page of the booklet included with the dies. I agreed to register my dies and the lady agreed to replace my spindle and expander. Don't understand why they won't make things right on your case feeder. I would call weekly at least until I got the parts.

What were you doing to "violate" your die!? You know those aren't used for those types of things. Hahahaha
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Alex Wilson wrote:
FWest wrote:Recently I violated my 223 sizing die from Hornady. Called and got a very slight run around but kept it civil , figured out it was due to not sending in the registration on the back page of the booklet included with the dies. I agreed to register my dies and the lady agreed to replace my spindle and expander. Don't understand why they won't make things right on your case feeder. I would call weekly at least until I got the parts.

What were you doing to "violate" your die!? You know those aren't used for those types of things. Hahahaha

oh man. usually around here when stuff like that gets mentioned we have an unwritten dont ask, dont tell policy. because frankly we probably dont want to know :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

its now officially all your fault if we get the answer none of us were hoping for :shock: :lol: :lol:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
FWest

Post by FWest »

Trying to get a laugh and you two defile my post. :lol:
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Post by batman4706 »

I have learned that if you have problems like this, a letter addressed to the CEO of the company will usually solve it.