Accuracy Issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

wrmay80

Accuracy Issues

Post by wrmay80 »

I recently finished an 8" upper build using a barrel from Aeroprecision 1:7" twist rate. I believe the Aero barrels are sourced from Ballistic Advantage but im not sure. First range trip did not go well however. 50 yard groups ( longest available in my area) were running 5 inches with 187 grain Gemtech subonic. I'm hoping as the barrel wears it will improve but in my experience it wont improve that much. Is it possible that the load is that poor? Or am I missing something. I have some 220gr SMK loads coming, 300 blk is not on the shelf here, but I wouldn't expect even a poor performing load to shoot 10 moa. Any ideas?
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Re: Accuracy Issues

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Do you reload? The reason i ask is, well, not all firearms treat all ammo the same way. In some of my ARs, the Sig ammo is great, and in others, it's got a somewhat large grouping. If you reload, you can really zero in on a consistent node for accuracy for THAT rifle, adjusting powder type, powder charge, projectile, brass, and OAL that is the perfect storm for your setup...unfortunately, if you don't reload, your options are 1) try other purchased ammuntions to find what works best or 2) find a barrel that likes tour ammo better.
That being said, i would have expected better accuracy from reviews i have read about BA products, so you might contact Aero and mention your issues, see if they have some insight...
Good luck!
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Buy a box of a couple of different kinds and weights of ammo and try them. Might be the case your barrel does not like 187 grain loads. Another alternative is to find someone that reloads 300 blk and see if you can vary the OAL (probably longer) in .005 increments and test again. You might get lucky and find something your rifle likes. If so, you can them reset any remaining loads to the new OAL with a collet puller and seating die.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....before assuming you have a bad barrel, I'd suggest you give it more time/rounds before making a final decision. My experience has been that a barrels long-term accuracy usually settles down after at least 100 rounds.

There are other factors other than the barrel that can affect its accuracy, to include the type of sights installed (and how), type of muzzle device used and if the firearm was fired with or without the suppressor attached. Method of assembly can also have an effect on resulting accuracy obtained.

My personal experience with multiple BA barrels has been that they are accurate, typically 1-MOA or better.
wrmay80

Post by wrmay80 »

Sight is a Trijicon RMR LED w. 2 moa dot. I expect to see the accuracy settle after 50-100 rounds but I have never seen a barrel shoot this poorly when new which is whats worrying me. It's my first 300 blk upper so I was wondering if there is such a large shift between bullet weights. I have a 556 upper that shoots 2.5 moa with 55 grain and 1 moa or a touch under with 75 grain, but these 187 grain groups seem exceptionally large. I shot a nice slow, group at 20 yards (indoor Range) and got a 3 in group, from the prone. I'm also seeing a lot of fouling on the suppressor and flash hider that I would attribute to the new barrel stripping copper jacket as it breaks in but now I'm not so sure. I did notice something similar on my 10.5 upper from Aeropercision but got decent 2 moa groups out of 62 gr M855.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

Are you sure your mount is tight? It sounds like something is loose. My new BA barrel shoots impressively, even with 147 ball. All my groups thus far have gone WELL under moa.
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

10moa? Doubtful a new barrel is that off and if it actually was the barrel it would have to have a seriously badly cut crown or be the wrong bore size. It more that likely a loose barely nut or optic mount.
fancygunz

Post by fancygunz »

wrmay80 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:34 pm I recently finished an 8" upper build using a barrel from Aeroprecision 1:7" twist rate. I believe the Aero barrels are sourced from Ballistic Advantage but im not sure. First range trip did not go well however. 50 yard groups ( longest available in my area) were running 5 inches with 187 grain Gemtech subonic. I'm hoping as the barrel wears it will improve but in my experience it wont improve that much. Is it possible that the load is that poor? Or am I missing something. I have some 220gr SMK loads coming, 300 blk is not on the shelf here, but I wouldn't expect even a poor performing load to shoot 10 moa. Any ideas?
Did you ever figure this out? 4 years later I'm having similar issues - not 10 MOA, but more like 2 to 5 MOA with factory subsonic loads.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

fancygunz wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm
wrmay80 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:34 pm I recently finished an 8" upper build using a barrel from Aeroprecision 1:7" twist rate. I believe the Aero barrels are sourced from Ballistic Advantage but im not sure. First range trip did not go well however. 50 yard groups ( longest available in my area) were running 5 inches with 187 grain Gemtech subonic. I'm hoping as the barrel wears it will improve but in my experience it wont improve that much. Is it possible that the load is that poor? Or am I missing something. I have some 220gr SMK loads coming, 300 blk is not on the shelf here, but I wouldn't expect even a poor performing load to shoot 10 moa. Any ideas?
Did you ever figure this out? 4 years later I'm having similar issues - not 10 MOA, but more like 2 to 5 MOA with factory subsonic loads.
OK you got the first clue - posted 2015. Missed the second - 2 total posts. It is the reason that a lot of the old guard here are reluctant to waste time interacting with a new guys problems. Especially if he doesn't give a lot of details. Notice experienced folks asked questions and he replied once. Give technical details in a separate post , ammo used or load data, build details i.e. barrel make and trigger type ( That would be the only things pertaining to accuracy, no one gives a sh%t what kind of stock or gas block you have in this case.) What distance are you shooting ( this is left out a lot ), and finally, an honest assessment of shooting experience - Don't tell me you have owned guns your whole life. I know plenty just like that that can't shoot. Correct response would be, I hunt, I spend two days at the range shooting at 100 yards and average 2 MOA. ( Enough to claim ethical hunter status, right? ) and then I'm done.
I would encourage you to make a separate post, list the info I stated, ask intelligent questions and watch the helpful, experienced folks here pile on. Your head will be buzzing.
Distance are you shooting? ( You would be surprised how much this little nugget is omitted. )
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
fancygunz

Post by fancygunz »

rebel wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 pm OK you got the first clue - posted 2015. Missed the second - 2 total posts. It is the reason that a lot of the old guard here are reluctant to waste time interacting with a new guys problems. Especially if he doesn't give a lot of details. Notice experienced folks asked questions and he replied once. Give technical details in a separate post , ammo used or load data, build details i.e. barrel make and trigger type ( That would be the only things pertaining to accuracy, no one gives a sh%t what kind of stock or gas block you have in this case.) What distance are you shooting ( this is left out a lot ), and finally, an honest assessment of shooting experience - Don't tell me you have owned guns your whole life. I know plenty just like that that can't shoot. Correct response would be, I hunt, I spend two days at the range shooting at 100 yards and average 2 MOA. ( Enough to claim ethical hunter status, right? ) and then I'm done.
I would encourage you to make a separate post, list the info I stated, ask intelligent questions and watch the helpful, experienced folks here pile on. Your head will be buzzing.
Distance are you shooting? ( You would be surprised how much this little nugget is omitted. )
Ah, finally, signs of life :mrgreen:

You set me up perfectly with your post...let me link you to the thread I started in the Handloading section, you can read through it if you're up late one night and can't seem to fall asleep: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=107230

I am very new here, but I am willing to learn and share whatever results I collect from my endeavors. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge and experience on these boards and I understand the reluctance to share when there are people who are just looking for quick answers. I'm not looking for a hit-and-run. I am relatively new to reloading (~1 year) but have dived in headfirst and am trying to get a handle on 300blk, which seems to be way more challenging than 9mm or .308!