Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

firefuzz
Silent Operator

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by firefuzz »

0uTkAsT wrote:One of my few gripes about my Ranch was the trigger... even with the set screw fully removed, it still felt notably heavier than other 3-3.5lb triggers. I don't have a triger gauge to test the actual pull weight, but according to my fingertip scale I'd say it would not adjust any lower than 4lbs, so I found several tutorials on other forums for the "free trigger mod" and it is MUCH better now... It retained the crispness of the break and lack of take-up or overtravel the factory trigger exhibited, but reduced the pull weight well below 3lbs... it feels perfect now, the trigger safety still functions 100%, and I can not get it to drop-fire. As always, your mileage may vary; try it at your own risk.
This will lighten the trigger pull to approximately 2 lbs at the minimum setting [and retain some adjustability].

Step one, remove the pin (A) [lift the trigger assembly out after you've removed that pin]
Step two, remove the trigger adjustment screw (B)
Step three, remove the spring (C) that follows the blue line.
Step four, cut off ~1.75 coils
Step five, sand the cut end of the spring flat
Step six, remove any burrs
Step seven, reassemble [in reverse] with the cut side of the spring toward the adjustment screw
Sticky please.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

I have done three of these RARR's in this same manner. I start by cutting(actually grinding)off 1 1/2 coils of the spring. This will take the trigger down to approx. 3lbs 5ozs(as per my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge). Then I go slow and continue to take off a small amount of the coil until I get the trigger let off to the desired weight.

Remember also,when you do this,it takes out ALL the creep from the trigger so it will actually(IMO)feel a lot better. My gun was the test gun in the guns that I have done. I do not know exactly how much total I have taken off the spring. Guessing ..... about 1.5-1.7 coils and my trigger is down to just under 3lbs with no creep. PERFECT !!

I did loose a E-clip from the first time I tried this. They are easily obtainable at a bigger hardware store. The springs are also if you happen to frig the guns spring up. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
Bird

Post by Bird »

Finally got my RAR the other day from my LGS. Grabbed a box of reloads 220SMK subs and a box of Hornady 208Amax subs. I intend to only shoot this gun sub sonic. First thing I did was give it an initial cleaning and lubed up everything, with Rem oil. Slapped on a throw down 2-7x scope with Leupold medium rings. At the range I screwed on my AAC Cyclone and started feeding it some handloads that are spot on with in my AR. Made a few adjustments on the windage and moved out to 50 yards. 3 shots and a few adjustments, repeat this a couple times...not very consistent groups. Changed to Hornady 208 Amax subs, 3 shots, a couple adjustments and a little better. I had a couple light primer strikes and one failure to lock into battery. Dropped mag and bolt, gave a solid shot of Rem oil spray into bolt assembly and reloaded. Each of the rounds with light primer strikes were put back into the mag, cycled the bolt firmly and shot fine. After about 25 rounds down the barrel, no other issues with the gun, seems to have loosened up the action but just working it and firing it. Going to put a better scope on it unless I can get a longer rail and mount my red dot and 3x tactical magnifier.

My RAR did not like my loads that work so well in my AR, no big surprise there, but I hoped it would pattern them a little better just to get me started. Going to rework the load down a couple tenths and also see if she'll eat 220gr round nose pills (I have a bunch). I also want to quiet them down some more. They avg 1040fps and I think I'm going to work them down to a 1020 avg to see if the quiet down some. The Hornady rounds were pretty consistent with groupls just over 1" at 50. It was really windy and really hot, and I was a little frustrated with the scope not fitting the gun very well (scout scope needed a lot more eye relief). I feel pretty good about being able to get it to group at or better than 1" at 50.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want...
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Keep at it Bird as I'm sure you will find a good recipe.
Like you, I started out with several that I already had for my 8.25" AR. With 9.8 grains of 4227 under a 208 AMAX my then 14 yo son shot a 4 shot hole-n-hole group at 50 yards. With the longer barrel they were a little quicker than through my AR and they average 1050 fps. Just last weekend tested that same load at 100yds. From a bi pod and a rear bag it was right at an inch at 100 yds.

The mix that astounds me are the 90gr XTPs. At 50 yards they are only a little bit more spread out than the AMAX.
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

I haven't posted here in a couple months so I figured I'd stop in and see what's new.

My own Ranch is on its third sling, second mount/ring/base combination, third scope, second butt plate, just passed the 500 round count... and I'm changing most of it out again. I am making another new sling, ordering a stock pouch, swapping out the sling swivels for traditional fixed ones, and putting on a larger bolt knob. The trigger mod and butt plate mod are working out great, I've had zero issues with either. Still haven't bought the Omega I've been wanting - money is less of an issue than convincing the wife it's worth the $1,200 bucks. Here's the last photo I took before taking it all apart again. I'll post back up again when it's re-done again:

gunnie63

Post by gunnie63 »

G'day from Down Unda,
Have joined the RAR rifle club. My local gun store took initial orders at the beginning of the year & the shipment arrived from the US a couple of weeks ago.

I picked up a Millett DMRS 1.5-6x scope for it.

Also grabbed a couple of boxes of Remington 220gn factory and two boxes of Outback Ammo 125gn factory to run the barrel in and sight in. Have also loaded up two batches of reloads using Lil'Gun powder & an Aussie powder called AR2205. The projectiles used for these reloads being Hornady 110gn & Sierra 110gn.

I alsI plan on buying a pack of the Lehigh Defense 78gn pills to try with Lil'Gun.

Look forward to perusing this site & talking to fellow 300BO owners.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

gunnie63 wrote:G'day from Down Unda,
Have joined the RAR rifle club. My local gun store took initial orders at the beginning of the year & the shipment arrived from the US a couple of weeks ago.

I picked up a Millett DMRS 1.5-6x scope for it.

Also grabbed a couple of boxes of Remington 220gn factory and two boxes of Outback Ammo 125gn factory to run the barrel in and sight in. Have also loaded up two batches of reloads using Lil'Gun powder & an Aussie powder called AR2205. The projectiles used for these reloads being Hornady 110gn & Sierra 110gn.

I alsI plan on buying a pack of the Lehigh Defense 78gn pills to try with Lil'Gun.

Look forward to perusing this site & talking to fellow 300BO owners.
WELCOME!!

Must look like this then...

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Armed in Utah

Post by Armed in Utah »

Here's mine....bought it about 2 weeks ago...paid retail...$445 OTD....

more $$ than I wanted to ...but....came from Davidson's in AZ...

Have changed glass to Vortex DB HP 2-8x32..added flash hider...clipped

trigger spring..got pull down to a safe 2.5#...recrowned barrel...shoots great...

the magazine scares me........any aftermarket yet ? Installing Glade Tact handle tonight

Target is @ 100 with A1680 & 110 V max...LC reformed brass & Rem 7.5

CamoWhamo

Post by CamoWhamo »

gunnie63 wrote:G'day from Down Unda,
Have joined the RAR rifle club.

......... & an Aussie powder called AR2205.
Hi Gunnie

FYI, AR2205 is sold in the states as IMR4227 so you can search for load data using IMR4227 and get more results.

W296 is also available locally in Aus and you'll get a couple hundred more fps from the W296.
gunnie63

Post by gunnie63 »

slingshot: Mate mine certainly looks to be a clone of mine. Great grouping with the 150Hornadys.

CammoWammo: cheers mate, but I'm not sure on the AR2205-IMR4227 similarities. I have both of these powders & there is certainly a difference in pressure & velocity potential. I use both of these powders in 17Ackley Hornet, 22 & K Hornet & the 4227 beats the 2205 hands down. I'd guess that I could use 2205 data as a reference for 4227, but work up carefully from there.