Cheapest Self Defense/Hunting 300blk Ammo

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Cheapest Self Defense/Hunting 300blk Ammo

Post by trenttyre »

What is the cheapest but still efficient self defense or hunting ammo out there for 300blk?

I have seen some Sierra match King 125r HP's for $0.75/rnd but I do not know if the projectile is any good at expansion.

Are the Barnes black tip still the best?

What other good performers are out there that are cheap (less than 0.90/rnd)?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cheapest Self Defense/Hunting 300blk Ammo

Post by dellet »

The Match Kings are a very poor choice for killing things. They are a target bullet and are not designed to expand.

You will have a hard time finding a good hunting/defense round for under .90 a round if you are buying loaded ammo. The Hornady 110 Vmax can be found at times $18-20 a box. Shooters pro shop had the 110 Nosler Varmageddon on sale for awhile around $15. Depends on what you are hunting.

Some of the others that I have shot HSM has a 125 soft point that works well that can sometimes be found for $16-20 a box.

The cheapest I have ever seen any of the Blacktips was around $25. Right now there is a $5 rebate going on so yo might get close.

Honestly tho if I was looking for a round that needed to stop something reliably I would raise my budget to at least $1.25 a round for hunting and $1.50 for saving my ass.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

This will take care of your hunting, either the 110's or the 125 ballistic tips.

If it was what I had and needed I would not hesitate to use either on a two legged problem. Just watch your backstop.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/ammuniti ... tridge=231
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Wow, I don't think I can load them for less and you get more brass too.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

just some perspective...

the words cheap and self defense should never be in the same sentence.

i'm all for being budget minded and of course not over spending, but really when your life, or that of your loved ones in on the line, is 50 cents or $1 a shot really that important?

just my $0.02 USD

[edit] i'm not trying to knock the nosler stuff linked above - thats premium grade ammo. i'm just trying to speak in very general terms.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Post by orbitup »

dellet wrote:This will take care of your hunting, either the 110's or the 125 ballistic tips.

If it was what I had and needed I would not hesitate to use either on a two legged problem. Just watch your backstop.

I bought some of those blems and shot them last weekend. At first I thought they might be blems because the annealing looked bad. I found the real reason when I went to process the brass.

Still usable, they just needed a trim.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

plant.one wrote:just some perspective...

the words cheap and self defense should never be in the same sentence.

i'm all for being budget minded and of course not over spending, but really when your life, or that of your loved ones in on the line, is 50 cents or $1 a shot really that important?

just my $0.02 USD

[edit] i'm not trying to knock the nosler stuff linked above - thats premium grade ammo. i'm just trying to speak in very general terms.
True enough. But by cheap I mean the best I can get at the cheapest price. Or to be punny the best bang for my buck.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

dellet wrote:This will take care of your hunting, either the 110's or the 125 ballistic tips.

The best I have seen is the Lehigh Defense 300 Subsonic 194gr

But do those preform well? Only the ballistic tip?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

orbitup wrote:

I bought some of those blems and shot them last weekend. At first I thought they might be blems because the annealing looked bad. I found the real reason when I went to process the brass.

Still usable, they just needed a trim.
What do the primers look like?
What were you shooting this rout of?

That looks like pretty high pressure to get a neck to stretch that far.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

trenttyre wrote:

The best I have seen is the Lehigh Defense 300 Subsonic 194gr

But do those preform well? Only the ballistic tip?
All Lehigh bullets perform well very few perform better. But you will not find them anywhere near .90 a round.