AAC 9" upper - new generation coming soon?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

AAC 9" upper - new generation coming soon?

Post by voip-1 »

Hey guys, long time since I checked in, howzitgoin?

So, I am thinking of building a second 300 BLK SBR and want to go with another 9" AAC Upper as I have been nothing but impressed with the one I have. However, it seems that stock on them is pretty tight with even AAC's own website indicating that they are backordered.

Is this because a new model based on the latest KAC rail is going to be arriving soon?

Was there anything announced at Shot Show that I might not be aware of related to Advanced Armaments?

Anyways, my backup option is to have a lock gun smith put one together for me, but would be about the same cost as the AAC piece so I would still prefer to go with AAC for the "tried and true" version as well as their good after market support.
g22rmr
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC 9" upper - new generation coming soon?

Post by g22rmr »

I can't answer your question, but I do have to add that I really don't like the KAC rail on mine, its too bulky and heavy. Wish at the very least they would redesign it so you can remove the rail with standard Ar15 tools.

The upper has alot going for it tho, the Nickle boron bcg, the melonite barrel and .30 cal feed ramps make it a real winner. I'd change the rail for sure if I had the tool to remove it. Just not worth the price of the tool plus the cost of a new rail.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

g22rmr wrote:I can't answer your question, but I do have to add that I really don't like the KAC rail on mine, its too bulky and heavy. Wish at the very least they would redesign it so you can remove the rail with standard Ar15 tools.

The upper has alot going for it tho, the Nickle boron bcg, the melonite barrel and .30 cal feed ramps make it a real winner. I'd change the rail for sure if I had the tool to remove it. Just not worth the price of the tool plus the cost of a new rail.
I'm fine with the rail since it's so short anyhow. It is difficult to acclimate to such a short rail when you've taken classes with 16" carbines and long quad rails and you are used to gripping out near the muzzle.

KAC newest rails are based on key mod and are basically universal and much lighter but the shortest one is 10"

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDeta ... ID=KM30740

I guess there are guys that have swapped the URX 3.1 to the URX 4 on their AAC uppers but I'd rather just wait for AAC to release a complete upper that is built to spec with the new KAC rail.
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

voip-1 wrote: KAC newest rails are based on key mod and are basically universal and much lighter but the shortest one is 10"

KAC has an 8.5" URX4. FWIW, I have guns with both the 3.1 and 4 series of URX rails and I like them both. The URX 3.1 is not that heavy.

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDeta ... ID=KM30738
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

BC98 wrote:
voip-1 wrote: KAC newest rails are based on key mod and are basically universal and much lighter but the shortest one is 10"

KAC has an 8.5" URX4. FWIW, I have guns with both the 3.1 and 4 series of URX rails and I like them both. The URX 3.1 is not that heavy.

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDeta ... ID=KM30738
Ah, thanks for that.

The only reason I can think of for the limited availability of the 9" complete AAC upper is that they are moving to a new rail system from KAC or someone else.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

They could be getting out of the upper business all together as well, who knows, unless Paul or Robert want to provide further information.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

All that's known for sure is that AAC stopped producing complete MPW rifles. So it's the AAC stamped lowers that will start disappearing.

The uppers are still included in their 2015 product catalog, with the 9" model being the most scarce.

Highly doubtful a new lineup of uppers will be produced. I sure hope i'm wrong though.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

rimshaker wrote:All that's known for sure is that AAC stopped producing complete MPW rifles. So it's the AAC stamped lowers that will start disappearing.

The uppers are still included in their 2015 product catalog, with the 9" model being the most scarce.

Highly doubtful a new lineup of uppers will be produced. I sure hope i'm wrong though.
Man, that'a a drag. I wonder why they would halt production just when 300BLK popularity really seems to be picking up steam?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

AAC is moving production to Alabama so things are not being made at the moment.

The complete rifles stopped being made because AAC is focusing on silencers and not actual firearms. For sure don't interpret them being discontinued as some technical reason. The rifles are in my opinion the best 300 BLK rifles made and I ordered a lot of them for myself.
Rushthezeppelin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rushthezeppelin »

rimshaker wrote:All that's known for sure is that AAC stopped producing complete MPW rifles. So it's the AAC stamped lowers that will start disappearing.

Yay Greedom Group..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Edit: Meant to say Freedom but I'll let it stand.