Benefits, if any of Piston vs DI for SBR?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jonny1775
Silent Operator

Re: Benefits, if any of Piston vs DI for SBR?

Post by jonny1775 »

trenttyre wrote:Has anyone had a chance to look at the new Robinson Arms XCR micro that is chambered in 300blk or whisper or what ever they are calling it?

RA's system seems to be a great solution to the piston design. ie no receiver extension or buffer and is a far beefier piston like an AK.

I think it does say something that LWRC went DI; however, that might have been done so they could hit the market early before other adopters released their guns and buy some time so they can do more R&D on a piston system.
i have an xcr pistol in 556 and 762x39. i want to get the blk conversion asap. my friend is a major dealer for them. he is testing one now. i love the controls on them being ambi. they also have adjustable gas system to the piston. both of my barrels are very accurate
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

RAINS wrote:Go with DI for a 300blk gun. It's not like your going to be shooting hundreds of rounds of cruddy/gummy Wolf ammo per range session. (I wish Wolf made cheap cruddy/gummy ammo for 300blk..hehe) For now it seems like it's hard to make a piston 300blk gun run well. Especially with a short barrel. Look at the problems PWS has had. They are are at or near the top when it comes to piston guns.
300blk was MADE for short barrels it works better than any other rifle round in short barrels. It burns much cleaner with less left over powder than a 5.56/7.62x39. It was designed that way. It was also designed to run with a DI gas system.
Do note that I am an AK person. Also know that it takes me much less time to clean my DI 300blk than my AK or my long gone 5.56 sig 556 sbr. With an AR you just clean the BCC group, upper/lower and barrel. With a piston gun you must also clean the piston, gas tube and gas port. It's also much harder if not impossible to stock extra parts for a piston gun. DI stuff is cheap and everywhere.
For truck gun low maintenance or zombie end of the world fantasies I'd still pick an AK. But for the REAL world a 300blk Di sbr/pistol is where it's at. Have fun and good luck with your choice.

R
There have actually been really great piston 300blk guns released lately.

1. SIG MCX
2. Robinson XCR
3. Troy Sellers of in-range is aparently making a few 300blk AK Krinks!!!!
4. Adams arms

And that is just a few. I actually am ordering an XCR in 300blk in a few weeks now that they are out shipping.
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

i would say the depends on where you want you dirt to build up. if not on the BCG, get a piston, if you don't care, DI.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Cool did not know that the market was finally catching up with 300blk piston demand. With the price of 300blk I would still not go piston at this time. I may change my mind after I get to shoot my friends pws 300blk.

R