Quick question

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rolltide09

Re: Quick question

Post by rolltide09 »

On a stock AR for example the distance from back of pistol grip to trigger. I am getting a 6 position adjustable stock for my son and I did not want it to move his hand to far away from trigger. I know the measurement of the ATI it is about 2.5 inches and I know that a stock AR style will also fit him.
ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncbowhnter »

rolltide09 wrote:On a stock AR for example the distance from back of pistol grip to trigger. I am getting a 6 position adjustable stock for my son and I did not want it to move his hand to far away from trigger. I know the measurement of the ATI it is about 2.5 inches and I know that a stock AR style will also fit him.
I'm really confused now. The pistol grip really doesn't matter to be honest. My youngest son holds it with 3 fingers (middle thru pinky) pulling on the grip, firmly pulling the rifle into his shoulder and with his thumb on the right side of the grip because his little hands are too small to wrap around the grip. All this can only be done with an adjustable stock for him and it has to be almost fully collapsed. Are we headed in the right direction?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Rolltide, the 2-2.25 number I posted earlier is for the basic Hogue grip, without a beaver tail and a Wilson combat trigger group. That grip stops at the back edge of the receiver.

There is enough rubber on that grip that I think you could easily remove another 1/4 inch from the back of the grip with a file or sander and you would end up with a small palm swell if you wanted.

I am quite certain that if you hand that young man a nice, built by dad AR to shoot, he will find a way to reach the trigger :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rolltide09

Post by rolltide09 »

Thanks dellet for answering my question. Its going to be my sons first deer rifle I just want everything to be perfect for him. The way my dad did for me and my brothers.
ajb
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ajb »

rolltide09 wrote:On a stock AR for example the distance from back of pistol grip to trigger. I am getting a 6 position adjustable stock for my son and I did not want it to move his hand to far away from trigger. I know the measurement of the ATI it is about 2.5 inches and I know that a stock AR style will also fit him.
The grip and the stock are 2 separate things, moving the stock won't affect the grip. Am I missing something here?
rolltide09

Post by rolltide09 »

When I said stock AR I was referring to a AR without any mods like a stock car, not the stock of the rifle
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

rolltide09 wrote:When I said stock AR I was referring to a AR without any mods like a stock car, not the stock of the rifle
ok we got ya now.
we would refer to that as the Stock pistol grip and as others have commented the grip you are talking about is the vertical fore grip.
hope this helps
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies