Christmas time in February

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Christmas time in February

Post by voip-1 »

golfindia wrote:
voip-1 wrote:Well, the way I look at it powder doesn't go bad till a couple of years after you open it (and that's worst case scenario). if you don't open it then it should be good for 20-30 years minimum.
It doesn't go bad even if opened, as long as you store it inside in a climate controlled environment.

I just finished a can I have been working on since highschool. Worked the same as the day I bought it 25 yrs ago (for $15.99, at Sports Authority).

Powder hoarding by new reloaders is the cause of this shortage. Unless you shoot a lot of 460S&W or reload 762x39, you don't need multiple 8lb jugs of 1680. 1lb will do nearly 700 rds of 300blk. I shoot a lot, and have barely used a 2lbs of the stuff on 300blk in the past couple years.
Fair enough. I do know though that I've been trying to get AC1680 powder now for over 12 months and prices have been going up... so that's why I stocked up.

It's not like I got all of my buddies to go in and buy another couple lbs each for me, although that thought did occur to me! :)

I want to have enough on hand to shoot regularly (recreationally and in training) without running out, as well as enough to turn out approximately 1K rounds if some serious SHTF thing happened, not that I think that is likely.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

golfindia wrote:
voip-1 wrote:Well, the way I look at it powder doesn't go bad till a couple of years after you open it (and that's worst case scenario). if you don't open it then it should be good for 20-30 years minimum.
It doesn't go bad even if opened, as long as you store it inside in a climate controlled environment.

I just finished a can I have been working on since highschool. Worked the same as the day I bought it 25 yrs ago (for $15.99, at Sports Authority).

Powder hoarding by new reloaders is the cause of this shortage. Unless you shoot a lot of 460S&W or reload 762x39, you don't need multiple 8lb jugs of 1680. 1lb will do nearly 700 rds of 300blk. I shoot a lot, and have barely used a 2lbs of the stuff on 300blk in the past couple years.
One other thing, those are 1lb containers so I am not that big of a hoarder! 8)
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

No 1680 today for me...they had 1-lbs of 5744, but it was 40$ each at cabelas...didnt think it was as rare as 1680...i passed and grabbed 2 lbs of hp38 for 9mm/45...not quite "Christmas exciting", but im pumped to expand my reloading resume...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
Hi-Speed
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hi-Speed »

voip-1 wrote:Image
Hey buddy, just want to say that I REALLY like that SBR setup you're running. VERY slick rifle. Details on the build please!!

James
Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Hi-Speed wrote:
voip-1 wrote:Image
Hey buddy, just want to say that I REALLY like that SBR setup you're running. VERY slick rifle. Details on the build please!!

James
Thanks! Lots of dollars and tears shed over that one.

It's an AAC 9" complete upper mated to a Mega Arms billet lower. I don't recommend billet lowers after doing this build due to some parts in the lower kit not fitting or operating perfectly (the function selector is not "crisp" and the MIAD grip doesn't fit quite right). My local veteran gunsmith spits on billet lowers and I now understand why. Fortunately the problems are mostly cosmetic and the rifle functions perfectly.
  • 9" AAC complete upper w/added KAC rail panels
    Mega Arms billet lower.
    Bravo Company buffer tube, spring & buffer
    Noveske base plate with 1-point QD attachment.
    Magpul CTR buttstock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Geissele SSA-E trigger group
    Colt LPK
    Uber sexy Lancer see-through opaque mags (many, many mags!)
    Magpul MBUS Gen II backup irons
    Holosun red dot on Larue QD full cowitness riser
    SilencerCO Saker 7.62 supressor.
Hi-Speed
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hi-Speed »

Excellent, thanks for the info. Again, very slick rifle.

James
Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.