Christmas time in February

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Christmas time in February

Post by voip-1 »

So I think it's Christmas time in February somehow. I guess Santa Claus felt sorry for me as with a new little one who arrived last summer we had a pretty low key Christmas.

Yesterday I got a call from my local Class-III FFL that they had the tax stamp back on my 7.62 Saker in only 4.5 months!! 8) :shock:

Then today, on a lark when I was up on the other end of town I stopped into Cabelas and low and freaking behold they had Accurate 1680 powder in stock... I promptly purchased the maximum allowable amount.

Now if my Powerball ticket pays off I will really know that I'm the result of some cosmic benevolence.

:lol:
DragonAzz

Re: Christmas time in February

Post by DragonAzz »

Congrats!
Not to shabby.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

grats :!:
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Want to pass a little of that luck my way?
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Well, no wins on the powerball so I guess the magical spell has worn off!

I am going to drive across town to Cabelas and buy more Accurate 1680 if they haven't run out! :)
DragonAzz

Post by DragonAzz »

voip-1 wrote:Well, no wins on the powerball so I guess the magical spell has worn off!

I am going to drive across town to Cabelas and buy more Accurate 1680 if they haven't run out! :)
You pull that off, you in fact did win the lottery!
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

WOW! Thats Christmas and a birthday rolled into one day. Thats enough 1680 to last you for years!
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Well, the way I look at it powder doesn't go bad till a couple of years after you open it (and that's worst case scenario). if you don't open it then it should be good for 20-30 years minimum.

600 or so cartridges per lb and plan on shooting at least 600 per year so it's about 6 years worth... the way things in this country are going it might not even be possible to find this stuff 5 yrs from now.

Also, powder prices have skyrocketed. You could buy Accurate 1680 a few years ago for $19 a pound... now it is $28 a pound if you are lucky enough to find any.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

voip-1 wrote:Well, the way I look at it powder doesn't go bad till a couple of years after you open it (and that's worst case scenario). if you don't open it then it should be good for 20-30 years minimum.
It doesn't go bad even if opened, as long as you store it inside in a climate controlled environment.

I just finished a can I have been working on since highschool. Worked the same as the day I bought it 25 yrs ago (for $15.99, at Sports Authority).

Powder hoarding by new reloaders is the cause of this shortage. Unless you shoot a lot of 460S&W or reload 762x39, you don't need multiple 8lb jugs of 1680. 1lb will do nearly 700 rds of 300blk. I shoot a lot, and have barely used a 2lbs of the stuff on 300blk in the past couple years.