Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

WhoDat
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by WhoDat »

0uTkAsT wrote:"Cheapest" and "best" do not compute, as they are generally the opposite of each other.
Let's just say I would like the 5 star cheapest option a la Amazon.com... The Ruger in of itself is a "cheap" and "best" option for a bolt action 300blk rifle!

$75 for a pair of rings seems like it can be beat in price and matched in quality.

I would be using this to hunt and of course the range. What height rings are typically used on the Ruger American?
TheSpaniard
Silent Operator

Post by TheSpaniard »

Low rings at a minimum. Ultra low is better.
WhoDat
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDat »

TheSpaniard wrote:Low rings at a minimum. Ultra low is better.
Damnit! I ordered medium Vortex "Hunter" rings. I might have to return them depending on whether Vortex's "medium" is just enough for the scope to clear the rifle. I say this because Vortex labels their scope ring heights based on the distance from the center of the ring to the base and not the distance between the base and the saddle of the ring.

What is considered "low" or "low enough" for a Nikon p-300 (32mm objective lense) mounted on a Ruger American?
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

32mm objectives will work in low rings on the factory rail just fine, but will still be a little high. The factory rail is .210" and most 1" low rings depending on manufacturer are .130-.235". The Talley Extra Low ringmounts I have are 300 from the top of the receiver and I have a 33mm objective Leupold in them with ample clearance.

Those mediums you just bought are .370" so the bottom of the scope tube will be .580" from the top of the receiver and your optical centerline will be roughly 1.6" over bore. That's not totally unacceptable but it will be much higher than necessary.
Last edited by 0uTkAsT on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhoDat
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDat »

0uTkAsT wrote:32mm objectives will work in low or extra low rings on the factory rail.
Thanks for the 411 OuTkAsT! Returning the mediums. Thanks to Amazon Prime!
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

WhoDat wrote:
0uTkAsT wrote:32mm objectives will work in low or extra low rings on the factory rail.
Thanks for the 411 OuTkAsT! Returning the mediums. Thanks to Amazon Prime!
Any time. Looks like the Vortex Hunter rings in Low will fit the bill nicely. At 0.63" centerline to scope base that means the saddle height is .130" and that is the lowest anyone makes a 1" picatinny ring that I am aware of.
WhoDat
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDat »

Found these low rings on Amazon which appear to be the same as the Vortex Hunter low rings.

The difference is the price. $8.95 vs. Vortex's $20. The reviews on Amazon have these working great on "true" .308cal rifles with a little blue loctite!
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

Boy, it's been dead in here.

I finally got my 2nd magazine from Ruger earlier this week, after being backordered for almost a month. There are a few differences between it and my original magazine, but both function 100% in my rifle with the 150gr. Fiocchi I tried.

Who else is ready for the weekend?

pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Nothing to talk about here. I got about 6 or 7 of my local gunshops looking for one of these for me and still a no-go.

Can't wait to "talk" about it. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mr.revolverguy »

I am in the same boat none to be found in my state.
Self Proclaimed -- The largest independent 300 Blackout reloading database.
http://www.dayattherange.com