New to BO and looking for the most subsonic-friendly complete upper

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gopher Hunter

New to BO and looking for the most subsonic-friendly complete upper

Post by Gopher Hunter »

Greetings

I'm in the process of buying parts for a lower BUT I think it would be best to just purchase a complete name-brand upper. i.e. S&W, CMMG, AAC, etc. I'm perhaps slightly partial to S&W since I have so many of their handguns but I don't want that bias to prejudice this build.

OK, VERY sorry if this has been asked before (I did look):
Can you fine folks give me some tips/suggestions on which of the bigger companies makes the most subsonic-friendly 16" upper. This upper will NOT be used with a suppressor.

Also, if there is no such thing as a stock subsonic-friendly 16" (non suppressed) upper, are there pros-cons re different complete uppers in terms of ease of modifications?

thanks! 8)
GH
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to BO and looking for the most subsonic-friendly complete upper

Post by Overton-AR »

Are you NOT using a suppressor for personal reasons..?? Or do you live in a "KOMMIE STATE"..??
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

That is very unusual, but the one reason I can think of to use subsonic unsuppressed is at a range that doesn't allow rifle-power levels.

Something with pistol gas, and then open up the gas port more than stock, or drop down in buffer weight, if it won't lock back on an empty mag.
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Post by Randygmn »

AAC
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I agree with the above 2 posts. I absolutly LOVE my AAC upper.

Does your state allow AR pistols? If so got that route 9" AAC PISTOL. Sig braced lower. Wham...legal psudo SBR 8)
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Another AAC vote...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

well if your wanting to modify the upper then you will need to buy tools any way so why not just get a barrel and put the upper together the way you want to start with .
That being said if you are looking for just a complete upper going to the source of all this madness wouldnt be a bad idea . AAC would probably be your best bet .
I have a complete smith and wesson 16 inch carbine in 300 blackout and it functions just fine with subs and supers suppressed or not . I have no complaints . I got the whole gun for 800.00 which was a major factor in my purchase .
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Considering your criteria and as others have posted, AAC would be my first choice
and Noveske would be the runner up.

Out of curiosity, why is "Subsonic-Friendly" the criteria if you do not plan on using a suppressor?
FWIW, subsonic cycling without a suppressor attached is the most challenging criteria for a manufacture to achieve.
Most do not particularly care about it because they believe that 99% of end users that shoot subsonic ammunition will be doing so with a suppressor attached.
(When the suppressor is attached, it adds sufficient pressure / dwell to the gas system to overcome subsonic cycling issues.)
Last time I checked, AAC was the only manufacture that guaranteed their uppers to operate to MILSPEC cyclic rate using subsonic, supersonic, suppressed, and unsuppressed in all possible combinations.
Reason for this was to increase their attractiveness to MIL / LE clients that would have to deal with situations where in a worst case scenario, the upper would still function without issue.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Gopher Hunter

Post by Gopher Hunter »

Thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated.

Per the subsonic without suppressor questions, I do plan on eventually getting a suppressor but it will be ~24 months before that happens. Regardless, I really dislike shooting supersonic ammo due to the harsh (and neighbor unfriendly) sound signature.

I noticed that grabagun has the 16" AAC upper on sale for a lot less than the other vendors. Any reason to be skeptical of that deal?

cheers
GH
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Grab it...hence the name! Lol... (i dont actually have direct knowledge of the vendor selling it there...you cant post links to their pricing on this thread anymore unless in classifieds or new products -- who is the vendor?)
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".