22's

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

attila.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 22's

Post by attila. »

idaho.jon wrote:The only way I have been able to get 22 is to check Cabela's and Sportsmans at 9am sharp whenever I get the chance. But I refuse to by Winchester 222s,333s, or 555s anymore. I don't care how hard to get it is, I am not going to buy ammo that fails to fire 10% of the time.
There is a very handy "official 22 in stock thread" on the s&w forums (http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wess ... d-131.html) where I found links I used to get 22 lr about 2 months ago. It has only gotten better since then.

I also got much of my 22 from cabelas and refuse to buy any more Winchester or Remington since they fail unacceptably often.

I'll stick with cci SV/minimags, fiocchi, blazer, american eagle, or some federal bulk in that order of preference.
Mdees
Silent Operator

Post by Mdees »

I stopped shooting .22lr in any quantity after it dried up the first time. I still have about 300 rounds and at the rate I use it actually dispatching animals in traps I figure it'll last another 30 years.
Now when I want to plink I grab any of the AKs that shoot 7.62x39. At 22c/rd versus 11c/rd .22lr, it is twice the price but triple the boom and training with live-action rounds is just a better use of my time as I see it.
Trigger mortis! I get stiff just thinking about it!
AndyT
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AndyT »

I've not had any huge issues finding it here lately.

I'm sitting on 800 or so CCI mini mags, 800 or so cci subs, and around 600 federal premium match + some winchester western bulk

mini mags ran me .08-.09 a round and the rest ran around .05-.07 a round
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

midway has 2 brick limit, but they have CCI SV if you want them:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/847005 ... round-nose

Add a cheap free-shipping item for a few bucks savings. I added a pack of targets for $2.85, which saved me $5 on shippping of the order.
Swat50
Silent But Deadly

Post by Swat50 »

I don't even look at it at over 7 cents a round.

It is coming out but slowly.
16" Sota arms upper W/ Adams piston, 80% lower.
AAC H&R single shot.
16" MGM barreled Contender.
Ruger American Ranch.
16" SS Sota Arms upper, For Sale.
That's just the 300 AAC 's
FormerNavy
Silent But Deadly

Post by FormerNavy »

I get all my 22LR at Wal-Mart and have scored quite a bit over this year. It's coming in and showing up... and the rate it disappears is slowing down, at least around here. My local Wally World had some Winchester 1000 round packs for 3 or 4 days before they disappeared. Use www.brassbadger.com - it's pretty accurate and there is a mobile app also. That's how I score mine.

Now if only my local Wal-Marts would start carrying the new Remington 300BLK 120gr ammo. :evil:
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

Swat50 wrote:I don't even look at it at over 7 cents a round.<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">It is coming out but slowly.
Same. After paying $25 or so for a brick at Cabela's I won't go back to extortion grade prices.

Edit: Even though $25 is outrageous compared to a few years ago.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Swat50 wrote:I don't even look at it at over 7 cents a round.

It is coming out but slowly.
CCI SV doesn't go for <7 cents a round, but it is my guns' favorite, so when I can find it for 7.5 cents/rd, I don't hesitate, and I pass the word.

I used to buy Rem and Win, but after about 5-10% failures in every box with consistently poor accuracy, I stopped buying those bulk varieties even at 4-5 cents/rd
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

Yeah I have had the same experience with Winchester. Federal has been good for me, have a brick of Remington that I have yet to shoot. Hopefully it is more like Federal than Winchester.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Yup Fed bulk has been ok for me too. Back in the day Rem bulk was good, but in recent years, it's been depressing like Win. If your brick is a bit older (5-10 yrs), or if you were lucky and got a good lot, it'll be acceptable. Good luck!