Barens 110 TAC-TX blacktip defective?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Barens 110 TAC-TX blacktip defective?

Post by KneverKnew »

Several months ago I received a shipment of three boxes of the 110 grain blacktips from Barnes. I just noticed that every single bullet's blacktip isn't seated all the way down on the brass tip of the bullet. There is a slight air space between the to. Here is a picture:

Is this okay/ normal? Or is it something to worry about? I suppose it's possible that the blacktip may be seated fully durring the seating stage of the reloading process.
I'm just wondering if I should try to work up a hunting load with these, or send them back to Barnes for an exchange?

Also, I'm loading these for my 11 year old sons AR for deer. Anybody got good loading data of this round in a 16" AR barrel (wilson combat tactical light weight SS barrel)?
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barens 110 TAC-TX blacktip defective?

Post by tfbit »

Here's another thread on the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=89847

I'd send them back. As for a load I use 19.0 gr of H110 and a CCI450 at 2.250" with a light crimp. Chrony stuff and observations here:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=86143&hilit=+barnes#p806577
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

Barnes says that it's normal and doesn't affect performance.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

ScottB70 wrote:Barnes says that it's normal and doesn't affect performance.
No, this is not "normal"; but a few lots lately seem to be like this. I managed to seat mine but a few still have some light pass through, less than the thickness of a piece of paper. The shoot just fine this way, but should not need the extra step to get them loaded. The worst ones would effect COAL, so would return or seat them before loading.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

I shouldn't have said normal. Just that it doesn't affect performance. I don't know why I added that in the first place.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Could the tip come off when a round is slammed home?
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

hunter2 wrote:Could the tip come off when a round is slammed home?
Highly doubt it, there is enough material in the bullet to prevent that.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

Omega wrote:
ScottB70 wrote:Barnes says that it's normal and doesn't affect performance.
No, this is not "normal"; but a few lots lately seem to be like this. I managed to seat mine but a few still have some light pass through, less than the thickness of a piece of paper. The shoot just fine this way, but should not need the extra step to get them loaded. The worst ones would effect COAL, so would return or seat them before loading.
Sorry for the late response. Can you tell me how you managed to seat the black tips the rest of the way? Or mostly the rest of the way? I thought maybe they would have seated themselves during the pressure of seating the bullet. But that assumes the black tips come in contact up inside the seating die.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

I have some like this also. These are the ones that I pick for hunting. I feel that with the poly tip having to be pushed back slightly by the impact,AND more void under the shaft of the tip,these bullets will actually expand faster.

Just a thought. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
ugawino

Post by ugawino »

I bought a box of these today for whitetail. Didn't know of this problem. But after reading this, I went and checked all the rounds in my box. And they were all fine. Thanks for the heads-up!