16" barrel w/ Pistol length gas

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 16" barrel w/ Pistol length gas

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote:I've mostly been shooting Dallas Reloads 220gr subs. I'll stock up on some factory loads to verify. And I'll double check the buffer and spring to be sure they are carbine.

Thanks again for the input
I would call Dallas Reloads and see if this is still their position on sub-sonic rounds. It does not seem that they expect them to work without a suppressor.
The subs need the aid of the back pressure from the suppressor to help aid in cycling. If you get a suppressor, they should cycle. The subs are 1/3 of the pressure of the supersonic loads.
Try the supersonic loads, and you'll be good. Also, are you running a pmag? 90% of the cycling problems people have had are running a bad pmag.

I have 110 vmax, 125 SP and 110 Barnes in stock!!!
I have 208 bthp subs in stock also!

Custom load work-up and ammunition in your firearm
http://www.DallasReloads.com
Here is the thread this came from:
viewtopic.php?f=179&t=79026&start=30

The Wilson barrel should have a .106 gas port, that should be adequate, as long as the rest of the build is working correctly. As you said check the buffer and spring and for proper gas block alignment.

I run a lot of subs from a 16 inch, carbine gassed barrel with a .097 port, un-suppressed. All available factory and many different handloads.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Thanks dellet. I'm using my SDN-6 and still no feed. Gonna pick up some factory stuff this morning and try some out.

I'll also pick up a new carbine spring and buffer to try just for giggles. If they aren't the problem, I'll just have to build another rifle around the surplus spring and buffer.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I've been an police firearms instructor for going on a quarter of a century. I've always preached the 4M method of diagnosing a firearms malfunction; you look at the Man, Magazine, Maintenance and Munitions.

I should have been listening to myself all along.

I popped into Ann Arbor Arms and picked up some factory Gorilla 220gr subs. Tried 'em in both my pistol-gassed 8" and my carbine-gassed 16". I tried 'em with and without the can. I could NOT make the guns have any failure of any kind.

The biggest complaint I have about the Gorilla subs is that, damn, the box of ammo sure went fast!

Gotta go, need to call the shop and order some more subs.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote:I've been an police firearms instructor for going on a quarter of a century. I've always preached the 4M method of diagnosing a firearms malfunction; you look at the Man, Magazine, Maintenance and Munitions.

I should have been listening to myself all along.

I popped into Ann Arbor Arms and picked up some factory Gorilla 220gr subs. Tried 'em in both my pistol-gassed 8" and my carbine-gassed 16". I tried 'em with and without the can. I could NOT make the guns have any failure of any kind.

The biggest complaint I have about the Gorilla subs is that, damn, the box of ammo sure went fast!

Gotta go, need to call the shop and order some more subs.
That's good to hear :P I have not seen anyone really write up anything about the Gorilla products, good or bad. Sounds like they are worth trying if you don't load.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

To answer the original question ...

Paladin Machine Services makes what ever length AR barrel you want with pistol position gas ... and can provide a three position gas block (off, subsonic, supersonic). Is also licensed to make 338 Spectre barrels.

Actually was the common way to build the 300-221 (300 Whisper).

Mine is accurate ( <1 MOA) and hollywood quiet with subs and a 30 cal can.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

eastern_hunter wrote:To answer the original question ...

Paladin Machine Services makes what ever length AR barrel you want with pistol position gas ... and can provide a three position gas block (off, subsonic, supersonic). Is also licensed to make 338 Spectre barrels.

Actually was the common way to build the 300-221 (300 Whisper).

Mine is accurate ( <1 MOA) and hollywood quiet with subs and a 30 cal can.
Thanks for getting us back where I started! While I resolved my issues, I do like the idea of a switchable gas block for when you want the quietest you can get.

Cheers!