laser engraving touch up gone wrong

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

laser engraving touch up gone wrong

Post by voip-1 »

So today I had my lower laser engraved by a local shop in Denver. They have laser etched AR-15 lowers for SBR and other purposes before, so I figured that whatever they are doing meets ATF requirements. After getting the engraving done there is some question on if it is truly deep enough to meet the requirements, but the real issue/question I have is about touching up a laser engraving.

I already had a birch wood casey super black matte touch up pen handy and figured I would use that to darken the exposed aluminum. Unfortunately, while the pen says it blackens aluminum, I did not get the desired affect. The lettering is only slightly blackened (even after a couple of applications) and what's worse is that the finish around the lettering area on my Mega billet lower now has staining from the touch up pen that won't come off even with some scrubbing from a finish cloth.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can "fix" this? My goal was simply to blacken the aluminum so that it would not stand out from the receiver.

Thanks.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: laser engraving touch up gone wrong

Post by voip-1 »

Mr. Clean to the rescue.

I was able to remove the offending material with a Mr Clean eraser pad. Didn't harm the finish at all but the casey junk is gone.

Now I will need to find the proper product for blackening the aluminum.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

It will darken up some over time.
SkyLine1
Silent Operator

Post by SkyLine1 »

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Ok. Thanks guys. I might pick up the aluma-Hyde.
RMcDonald
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RMcDonald »

Aluminum blackeners only work on exposed bare aluminum, what you're seeing is the anodizing blocking the alumablack.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

If the lower is black then just grab a can of black spray paint. Spray a Q-tip then dab it onto the area to be darkened. I have done this dozens of times and it is cheap and works better than anything else.

If your lower is that satin, not dull and not shiny, finish like it is painted then grab a can of satin black. It will match extremely well. If the lower is just anodized black, and not painted, then use flat black.

For all my needs I have started using Chalkboard paint available from Walmart. It dries to a semi gloss finish that looks perfect. And once it is baked it is as durable as anything else I have tried except Cerakote. It is all I use to paint things black because it is so durable. I paint parts and even whole guns to give them an amazing finish.

I will say the only downside is you cannot just use break clean to hose down the firearm. I normally just wipe down using a rag soaked with WD40 and so far it hasn't hurt any of the firearms I have painted.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

RMcDonald wrote:Aluminum blackeners only work on exposed bare aluminum, what you're seeing is the anodizing blocking the alumablack.
Does the laser engraving not go deep enough to expose "bare" aluminum?
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:If the lower is black then just grab a can of black spray paint. Spray a Q-tip then dab it onto the area to be darkened. I have done this dozens of times and it is cheap and works better than anything else.
Haha you are wayyyy braver than me dude! :shock:

The lower is a $235 Mega billet job. I would be seriously freaked out about messing up the finish if I did that.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Hey, don't be scared. I have painted lots of guns - the advice DS gives is sound and reversible. You no like - solvent -rag -bye, bye.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.