help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by voip-1 »

Ok so here is what I have on my build list so far, be great pals and let me know if I have missed anything or am steering wrong;

1. Palmetto Armory Magpul ACS-L complete lower kit... IF they get back in stock. I like the magpul grip anyhow and had thought of trying this stock anyhow (shark also mentioned being a fan of it). It has extra bits and pieces I don't need including a junk trigger and buffer tube but those are just spares and I'm getting that stuff more or less for free since the MOE grip and ACS-L are $115 anyway.

2. JP AR 15 buffer tube and spring kit.

3. Gisselle 2 stage trigger.

4. Spikes or similar lower. I would consider getting an ultra cheap lower but considering the hassles of class III registration and having engraving done does not seem worth possible figment headaches to save $25.

Missing anything? I notice on AAC MPW description page they make a big to do out of using certain o-rings and other parts that all appear to be part of the upper, so I think I am good to go on that stuff.
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Post by mostholycerebus »

I got the B5 Systems LBK for $120 a few months back. They may bring that deal around again for Labor Day? It comes with the B5 Bravo stock, more vertical B5 grip (rebadged Umbrella Corp), a QD socket endplate, and it specifies a 7075 receiver extension.

I concur, if you are going to SBR, get a nice lower. Joe Bobs had a billet for $100, and a couple places will do custom images on billet lower plus engraving.

Theres always the Spikes Honey Badger lower...
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

mostholycerebus wrote:I got the B5 Systems LBK for $120 a few months back. They may bring that deal around again for Labor Day? It comes with the B5 Bravo stock, more vertical B5 grip (rebadged Umbrella Corp), a QD socket endplate, and it specifies a 7075 receiver extension.

I concur, if you are going to SBR, get a nice lower. Joe Bobs had a billet for $100, and a couple places will do custom images on billet lower plus engraving.

Theres always the Spikes Honey Badger lower...
Ha, I saw that lower! Spikes seems to put out a lower as good or slightly better than other forged lowers. I will try to talk down the billet lower if it is that price I might bite. I am a bit of a magpul whore and am unlikely to try a different manufacturer on this build but appreciate the input. I will look into the part you mentioned.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

So hey guys, my son was born Friday morning (12:13AM! :cry: ) and son, myself and momma are all home and happy as of yesterday. He's a super cute little bugger and other than a bit of fussiness with the breastfeeding is super healthy. :P

So, back on this thing now that I can pay a little more attention.

I just ordered the following parts from Pegasus;

ACS-L Magpul Milspec stock - $85
Giessel SSA-E lower parts build kit - $229
Magpul MIAD 1.1 grip - $28

So, after the cost of the upper I am about $1342 and still have the JP buffer tube/spring kit ($139 .. unless someone talks me out of it for some good reason) and the Spike's lower (hopefully about $110 including BG check from local FFL guy I know).

So, I'm going to be in for $1630 but that has me into a custom built weapon that has a few parts a bit upgraded over the MPW... so feeling pretty good about this.

Just trying to figure out who to set my trust up with and then get the ball rolling on the form 1.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Congrats on the new addition to the family (the baby too!!!) :mrgreen:

$16-1700 is about right for a AAC upper built gun. PLEASE post about the JP spring if you get it. I just dont want to drop $130 on a spring :roll:
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Sharkbite wrote:Congrats on the new addition to the family (the baby too!!!) :mrgreen:

$16-1700 is about right for a AAC upper built gun. PLEASE post about the JP spring if you get it. I just dont want to drop $130 on a spring :roll:
It's spring and buffer tube. There is a youtube video in which Nick Leghorn swapped out the stock spring and buffer tube with the JP model and the loudest thing when he is firing the weapon silenced/subsonic is the sound of the trigger resetting! :shock:
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

OK, so we are making progress. This rifle is pretty much done and I have submitted paperwork to ATF.

I made some changes. Biggest change is that I ended up ordering a second billet lower (Mega) ... I figure since I'm going through the cost and hassle of having this thing registered as an SBR and engraved might as well go with a top end lower receiver. Man, the Mega billet lower is NICE. Makes the Spike's that I also have (kept as backup/spare) look like a piece o crap. Is it worth the extra cost? Probably not, but it's sweet nonetheless.

Talked to the guys at JP and was left with a pretty queasy feeling about running their captured silent spring in my rifle. They basically told me it "might work" and it "might not work" and that failure to feed was something they would not be surprised by for my application. They recommended buying the spring pack for another $40 which would bring the cost of their setup to $169 or more...

So, I just ended up holding off for now and ordered a 6 position mil spec tube, spring and buffer from bravo company. Ordered my stock, grip and LPK with Geissele SSA-E from Pegasus in AZ. Lower parts were okay... the safety select switch is quite tight, so I might look into replacing a few of the parts. Build up of the lower was not hard at all although I kept rotating the lockdown pin and could never tell if the detent fell into place or not. Vids from cheaperthandirt.com were super helpful and the whole thing only took me a couple of hours.

So, this is were I am at;

1. AAC 9" Upper - $1000
2. SSA-E trigger + LPK - $229
3. Magpul ACS-L + MIAD 1.1 - $110
4. Carbine 6 position gas tube + spring + H2 buffer - $75
5. Mega Arms Ambi Billet lower - $249 including FFL transfer.
6. Magpul MBUS front and rear iron sights - $69

So I'm now in for $1732. Ouch! That doesn't include the FFA fee or the cost of silencer, optic, etc. This hobby is too damn expensive. :)