Cycling Problem - Problem now corrected!!!

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

bamabaxter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cycling Problem - Problem now corrected!!!

Post by bamabaxter »

tfbit wrote:Well Bar None Tomahawk! If everyone with a 16" carbine gas barrel just did that first step we would have about 10% less posts. It's really not that fussy if you stick to the extremes in bullets. It excels with 110s, 125s, and 220 plus.
russ4777 wrote:Well I finally got my rifle to run perfectly. Again, 16", 1 in 8" twist, carbine gas system.

1. Enlarged gas port from Wilson's 0.106" up to 0.120"
2. Checked the ID of all my carbine gas tubes and found the largest ID of six of them to be 0.120". Installed that one in the rifle.
3. Took one coil out of the buffer spring. It is now at the minimum specified length of 10".
4. Buffer is standard carbine at 2.9 oz.

Went to the range today and with three different bullet weights (125, 147, & 168) all with IMR 4227 powder the rifle cycled perfectly. Bolt locked back on every empty mag. All were supersonic loads at about 90 to 95% of maximum recommended. Recoil was very mild. I don't think it is one bit overgassed as some say with a gas port this size.

I am now going to go back up to the faster burning H110 and see how things cycle. The 300 BLK is an interesting round but a little fussy.

I'm happy now.
You can recommend opening the gas port all day, but people would rather spend 4 times times as much money buying shit to try to work around the actual problem.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i didnt check the port size on the new barrel yet, but my old CMMG was ~0.109. it cycled factory subs just fine. i dont know a lot about this kind of thing but i'm surprised .106 was giving you trouble. but i guess .003 difference can really make that much difference huh?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ARHuman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ARHuman »

You can recommend opening the gas port all day, but people would rather spend 4 times times as much money buying shit to try to work around the actual problem.

Amen to that
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ARHuman wrote:You can recommend opening the gas port all day, but people would rather spend 4 times times as much money buying shit to try to work around the actual problem.

Amen to that
Then there's the third group. 8)

I/They didn't bore out the port, I/they didn't spend the extra money buying 4 times the shit, I/they just built it right the first time. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

It's all about stacking all the different tolerances in the complete system.
plant.one wrote:i didnt check the port size on the new barrel yet, but my old CMMG was ~0.109. it cycled factory subs just fine. i dont know a lot about this kind of thing but i'm surprised .106 was giving you trouble. but i guess .003 difference can really make that much difference huh?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.