From Supersonic to Subsonic

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: From Supersonic to Subsonic

Post by dtom29 »

If you're going to use an SBR 300 for home defense then spring for the LeHigh rounds. I did and I'm happy with it. Quiet and effective...
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Post by Randygmn »

I have the AAC 300blk 9" pistol with brace for self/home defense. Ive got all kinds of different ammo in both supers and subs. But I've got two mags full of the Barnes vor tx 110 grain for social work. Supressors are not legal in Minnesota so noise reduction inside the home isn't a consideration. Truth be told, it would be great to not go deaf while protecting my family, but I'm certainly not choosing my ammo because of it.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

A lot of well intentioned misunderstanding in regards to subsonics. But it has been mostly corrected.

Most 300blk subsonic rounds will not expand

Most subsonic rounds out of most 300 blk barrels will not tumble while still inside a target. Some will but most likely it needs to be a 1 in 10 or slower twist. Unless of course the target is the size of a cape buffalo

currently you have as mentioned for Factory Loads
194 maximum expansion Lehigh
174 controlled fracturing Lehigh
170 controlled fracturing Lehigh

For components you have the above available as loading components as well as a the Outlaw State bullets which are consist of 7 or 8 bullets

If one wanted to use Factory a factory load then one would be advised to use the 194 maximum expansion. based on some hunting expeditions (not me) it would be the least likely to over penetrate.

Having used a similar bullet as some of the outlaw state hollow points. I would consider it as a good option if you were to handload defensive rounds.

Outlaw state recently introduced a lead tip hollow point with a copper base. they are marketing it as a varmit round. Frankly based on my experience with hollow pointing cast. I can see this being a very effective defensive round.

then of course there is always the option of cast hollow points. I know what they will do on flesh. With a deep hollow point it would be devastating on a man size target.

with a non expanding, non tumbling bullet subsonic 300 blk are not as effective as a .45acp fmj. I just do not think the increase in velocity from 850 to 1000fps on average is going to really transfer to energy on target. i could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Having said all that and being the huge proponent of subsonics. my HD load is a 110gr hornandy soft point pushing 2250fps and at in the house distances it expands great.

not that I am afraid to use subs. just that I am too cheap to buy Lehigh. and I am waiting on another manufacturer or two that I know of to start producing expanding subs for sale.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Good post gds....
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

I have been wondering if a round nose would be a better choice over the spitzer type bullets.

Still no expansion at sub vel, but a flatter front surface for more tissue disruption.

Or how about a .30-30 flat point?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

If you shoot subsonic for home defense then there is 1 answer, 194gr Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion (bullets or loaded rounds).

Bullets - https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php ... let-detail

Loaded Rounds - https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php ... mmo-detail

I think if you get one box of loaded or load one box of bullets then your subsonic home defense should be good unless you have 21 -51 intruders :)
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

While I'm finding many uses and having lots of fun with the 300,I think I'm going to keep the .45 by the bed.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Guest762 wrote:While I'm finding many uses and having lots of fun with the 300,I think I'm going to keep the .45 by the bed.
I keep a glock 27 by the bed, shotgun in the closet, and blk out in the basement. :mrgreen:
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

My 9" Suppressed SBR was going to loaded with subs for HD. After shooting it a bit and doing some informal testing, i gave up on subs for HD.

YES, they are quiet
NO, i did not get the terminal effect i wanted

Now the 300blk is loaded with blacktips...still suppressed. Not as quiet but better then w/o the can

Im building a 9mm SBR for real quiet stuff
Mgoirea
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mgoirea »

Lehigh 300BLK is more effective than any .45ACP round out there. Mainly because they get a long bullet to work with. However, it's still operating in the momentum regime, which isn't what I'd want a gun to do, especially one as big as a rifle.