"Crayola of Death" testing thread

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Smoke
Silent But Deadly

Re: "Crayola of Death" testing thread

Post by Smoke »

so can anyone post some actual accuracy results with this mold ?
real curious how it is shooting
FFL, SOT

lover of things that go bang or silently make things fall over C:
vz58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vz58 »

Smoke wrote:so can anyone post some actual accuracy results with this mold ?
real curious how it is shooting
/\
THIS
xacex
Silent Operator

Post by xacex »

Probably as good as I stated before anyone got the mold. Poor cast boolit design especially for a semi auto. But, it was worth trying. If anything it was a learning experience.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I have shot several sub 1" groups at 25 yards. I am starting to push the velocity to see what is going on. Anyone who casts knows cast bullets are a lot more finicky than jacketed.

So what about the design is poor?
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

In the very limited testing that I have done, 1-3/4-2" for 5 shots is what I was seeing at 50 yards from a 16" with carbine gas system. That was the GC version lubed conventionally. I need to cast another batch, but that won't happen for at least another week.
Black Rifles Matter
xacex
Silent Operator

Post by xacex »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I have shot several sub 1" groups at 25 yards. I am starting to push the velocity to see what is going on. Anyone who casts knows cast bullets are a lot more finicky than jacketed.

You just dont get it do you? 1" at 25 does not equal 4" at 100. Groups are not linear. Your bad advice, and insistence on going against cast bullet design principles that are proven are the main reason I have stayed away from this board. You may have some followers here that do not know better, but if you do not understand what is wrong with your design you need to do some more reading. It works for a copper bullet, but it is a poor design for cast. I'm not going to sit here and waste my time with a list of cast bullet principles because you think they do not apply to you.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

xacex wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I have shot several sub 1" groups at 25 yards. I am starting to push the velocity to see what is going on. Anyone who casts knows cast bullets are a lot more finicky than jacketed.

You just dont get it do you? 1" at 25 does not equal 4" at 100. Groups are not linear. Your bad advice, and insistence on going against cast bullet design principles that are proven are the main reason I have stayed away from this board. You may have some followers here that do not know better, but if you do not understand what is wrong with your design you need to do some more reading. It works for a copper bullet, but it is a poor design for cast. I'm not going to sit here and waste my time with a list of cast bullet principles because you think they do not apply to you.
Constructive criticism is one thing, but IMO your tone is inappropriate.
This project has been an experiment from the beginning and is advertised as such.

Yes, there are time honored "rules" that make cast boolits work more effectively.
Most notably absent in this design is a "bore ridding" section.
In the case of a 300 BLK cast projectile, the features that make a cast boolit shoot well also prevent them from feeding well in an AR platform.
People willing to stake their time and money experimenting with new designs should be celebrated.
Your comments are counterproductive and inflammatory.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Agreed.

I do think this design will benefit from making the alloy as hard as possible. One of the type metals, maybe toughened with copper, might be the best choice.

It's pretty outside the realm of normal bullet casting, but this design would be interesting to try cast from zinc. I've done that with other molds; it does work but temps need to be higher, and cutting the sprue can be difficult. The bullets come out really hard, and very light weight (compared to lead). Dolomite may have designed a cool pointed 90gr zinc bullet...
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

xacex :

Why are you so negative? I'm mean especially to DS? From last year you did the same thing in castboolits. Sounds personal to me. I'm no follower of his. I don't agree with everything he posts,but I will respect him because I did learn a lot from him. Besides,what is your contribution here besides opinions?

by the way this mold is awesome for me . Feeds flawless especially in an AR.
SEMI - SILENT
xacex
Silent Operator

Post by xacex »

I was not critical as much as I wanted answers to simple questions of accuracy.DS took it as offensive while removing his pictures and going home. It is not personal, but I do not like seeing new casters given bad advice. It is not good for the hobby. As such since I do not own this boolit, and will not be contributing to any of the results I will stay out of this thread. Good luck.
Last edited by xacex on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.