Do not buy lee dies to reform 223 5.56 to 300aac brass

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do not buy lee dies to reform 223 5.56 to 300aac brass

Post by blaster »

wow I'm glad I didn't read this thread before I made about a thousand 300 BLK cases with my Lee dies. ignorance is bliss. I guess I am lucky, have a loose chamber or adjusted the dies right but have never had any problems. not that I am a big fan of Lee dies. (I don't like their de capping method) but they were all that was availiable at the time.
peace through superior firepower
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

The thing is, Lee dies will not work for every setup. My feeling is that since Lee dies seem to need that extra 1/2 turn, a press with some flex built in will not give the die that extra oomph it needs to form the case as far down as it needs to. Also, in my particular experience with the 300 process; there are many things that can make the rounds not seat in your chamber. While having the issue with the reforming process I loaded up dummy rounds and they failed to load, even after going through the resetting of the dies, polishing the case holder. It turned out that my bullet needed to be seated that extra .001 or so depth to lock and load. Of course I am one of those people that refuse to give up (or spend extra money) and try any tip or trick to make it work, that is what makes these sites so invaluable; sharing.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Not a big fan of Lee dies but just cause you have a tight chamber don't flame them. Mine takes all the range pickup brass I've found so far, I shoot cast @ 0.310, got a big chamber. Actually I reform before cutting. Yes, I've seen the brass list. Setting the die for a bigger H.S. isn't really a good solution, just get a different die or as posted, a small base 223/556 die. All die aren't the same and all chambers aren't either. My guess, if you buy a match barrel/chamber - you need to get a high quality (match) die. You may also have a 'fast' cycling bolt - case moves out of the chamber before pressure is reduced and swells the base. Reduce the gas pressure.
Wild_Weasel

Post by Wild_Weasel »

I use Lee 300 BLK dies with my H&R/AAC Handi Rifle. Other than keeping cases trimmed under 1.368" they work fine for me. They do not seam to oversize brass fired from rifle and caselife is great!

Cheers,
W-W
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

SOB, i can't remember what mine are, most likely Lee's.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
pyromancer

Post by pyromancer »

popper wrote:Not a big fan of Lee dies but just cause you have a tight chamber don't flame them. Mine takes all the range pickup brass I've found so far
This is not "flaming them" this is repeating exactly what they have said. There dies are not meant for forming 223/5.56 brass into 300aac. When used in this way there dies are not guaranteed to produce in spec rounds. There dies only form brass to "pre-fired" dimensions. I'm glad your all such Lee fans and think your defending them, but they straight up say there dies may not work for this use. What else do you want?

If you want to gamble buy these dies, if you don't buy something else where the company backs up there dies for forming 300aac from 223/5.56
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

I also purchased the Lee 3 die set. At first I had no problems but at that time I was not forming my own from 223 I was re-loading brass that I had bought factory and already fired thru my rifle. It was only when I started cutting down range pick ups when I realized that I had a set that was out of spec. Of course that's also when I found the PPU and PMC that wouldn't work regardless.
I bought a Sheridan cut away and a new set of RCBS along with a new shell holder and haven't looked back.
If your Lee dies work, consider yourself one of the lucky. Me, I'm part of the bad statistic but that's all in the past. Everything fine now just lesson learned. From now on, Lee is not my first choice.
rg1
Silent Operator

Post by rg1 »

Not familiar with Lee dies but just to check to see if the base of the case will size back to spec you could run the case into your .223 Rem size die then form to Blackout.
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

I use a Lee sizing die for forming my 300 Blackout brass, with no problems. I use a Wilson case gage for setting up the sizing die. I've also used Lee sizing dies for forming .400 Cor-Bon out of .45ACP. My Lee sizing die-formed 300 Blackout brass works in at least two rifles....because that's all I've tried it in.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I like and use a lot of Lee products. Mainly because I am cheap. I have personally had great customer service from them.

and I have used the LEE 300 blk set to make a lot of brass.

pyromancer however makes a good point. sometimes they do and say things that just boggle my mind. While my 300blk dies have worked great. there are to many reports of problems. there is no reason that Lee could not fix this. At least no reason that I as of yet understand.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in