NOE 309 129Gr. PT (CLOSED) Thanks for the orders!

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the new products / good deals area, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, tba02

excess650
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE 309 129Gr. PT

Post by excess650 »

I've cast up a small batch. With GC & lube they weigh 132gr from my mix. The seater plug is a small cylinder with a recess bored to the same contour as the bullet, so is a "point protector" that is moved from bullet to bullet as they are being seated, and it works perfectly in my RCBS die. I seated (2) in dummy rounds. The first was 2.100" long and deeper than I had intended. The 2nd is 2.150" and leaves almost all of the front driving band exposed. Both fit perfectly inside Pmags and the longer rides against the rib. Both cycled perfectly by hand to observe, and then with just allowing the bolt to slam closed.

My intent is to PC these and push 'em. It'll be a few days before I get to that....

BTW, my suggestion for using the supplied seater plug/point protector in a progressive press would be to EPOXY it to your existing seater plug.
Black Rifles Matter
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

When manually cycling, did the nose of the boolits contact the feed ramps?
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

attila. wrote:When manually cycling, did the nose of the boolits contact the feed ramps?
They did. Doesn't a 5.56? The C/L of the nose is the same on both rounds because the rounds are held in place my the lips on the magazines.
Black Rifles Matter
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Got mine today too. Faster than a mold I ordered from Midsouth last week, that still hasn't shown up.

Suggestion on the seater, for you guys using RCBS dies - smear a blob of bullet lube on the seater, so it sticks up inside the die. Then you can load normally without seating it on each bullet, and you can take it out again for other bullet styles.
xacex
Silent Operator

Post by xacex »

excess650 wrote:
attila. wrote:When manually cycling, did the nose of the boolits contact the feed ramps?
They did. Doesn't a 5.56? The C/L of the nose is the same on both rounds because the rounds are held in place my the lips on the magazines.
Yes, but 5.56 is not soft lead. Can you post a pic of where the contact is on the boolit? If it is .25" down the nose it shouldn't be an issue, but it the tip is getting banged up it could bent the nose leading to an accuracy issue. This was my concern with this boolit when I saw the design.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

My hornady seater doesn't touch the tip at all.

Chris
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

yondering wrote:Got mine today too. Faster than a mold I ordered from Midsouth last week, that still hasn't shown up.

Suggestion on the seater, for you guys using RCBS dies - smear a blob of bullet lube on the seater, so it sticks up inside the die. Then you can load normally without seating it on each bullet, and you can take it out again for other bullet styles.
A drop of heavy grease will work well too.
Please do not do EPOXY the plug in your as a previous posted said.
Unless you want to commit that die to this boolit...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

My Lee seater doesn't touch the tip either. It does deform the nose slightly, partway down the nose, but not enough to matter.

I'm pretty disappointed with this one so far though. That fragile tip isn't working well in my AR, and the vent lines in the mold are oversized and producing whiskers, which I did not expect from NOE.
Smoke
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smoke »

yondering wrote: I'm pretty disappointed with this one so far though. That fragile tip isn't working well in my AR, and the vent lines in the mold are oversized and producing whiskers, which I did not expect from NOE.
Deformed tip on feeding is one of the things I was worried about .. Other is how is it grouping ?
FFL, SOT

lover of things that go bang or silently make things fall over C:
swedenelson

Post by swedenelson »

Its going to take a hard cast to get this to work!
50/50 (lino, wheel weighs) and maybe even water drop
The key word is "experimental"

yondering
PM sent

Bullet maker, maker
Swede Nelson
More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.