What's your Biggest non-hazardous mistake?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

kuroTexan
Silent Operator

What's your Biggest non-hazardous mistake?

Post by kuroTexan »

I loaded 300 rounds using 208gr A-Max but seated them to deep and they were going supersonic on me. I had to partially pull the remaining 285 rounds and re-seat them to the correct O.A.L. I wanted to kick myself in the ass for misreading my calipers.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Re: What's your Biggest non-hazardous mistake?

Post by Sharkbite »

My first Marriage!!! :lol:

Just think how many tax stamps i could have in my collection without all those attorneys fees!!!! :shock:
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hahahah Sharkbite.

Mine cost me about $8 in small Savage bolt parts (springs, extractor, ejector, etc.).

I was working on my subsonic bolt gun Red Dot powder load and I used "The Load" practices that were designed for the .308 cartridge to try and extrapolate out my powder load. I then loaded even lower to try and ensure safety.

I fired a first round and man that case looked gnarly. Like an idiot I decided to fire a second round to confirm whether or not that first round was a fluke and the case was trashed! I had to pull it off the bolt head with a pair of needle nose pliers. The pressure was so high that all of the springs in my bolt were squishy and the ejector was a little bent. I could no longer get my normal rounds to eject without some funny shaking of the rifle and multiple attempts of extraction using the bolt.

I learned to be even more conservative when exploring load development with powders that basically had non-existent load data. I also learned that "The Load" data was not ideal for the 300BLK as it was derived from loading .308 rounds. Finally I learned that all of the shooting and loading safety precautions I take lead to a fairly non-hazardous (except to my bolt) screw up which could have easily been a very hazardous screw up :)
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

reloading 300 blk without the sheridan gauge
one to many mortar drills and the MOE adjustable stock
mechanism broke and turned it into a fixed stock
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

6.8 ........enough said. :|
ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

Post by ar15fanboy »

loaded a few hundred rounds with processed brass that did not fit the chamber. That a PITA to pull more than 500 rounds with the inertia puller.
vertical ascent
Senior Silent Operator

Post by vertical ascent »

Loading on a Dillon550, I have no idea how one round was missing its primer. It happened in the middle on the load. As I was picking up the round so I can check it on the Sheridan gauge (I do this on every single round) the powder went all over the table, floor and on me.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Sharkbite wrote:My first Marriage!!! :lol:

Just think how many tax stamps i could have in my collection without all those attorneys fees!!!! :shock:

Isnt the first one the most hazardous?
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

nitrohuck

Post by nitrohuck »

don't ever throw wet brass into a tumbler full of corn cob media........

came home from a snowy day on the range and all the snow on my brass melted... tossed them in the tumbler anyway figuring it'd be no big deal and I ended up spending QUITE some time picking what I can only describe as light cement out of each brass case... major pain in the ass
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Cleaning out my shed last week, I used a box that I had thrown spent primers into while reloading to collect paper and cardboard products which I then threw into the fire pit...apparently those primers still have unspent residue in them as I got a nice fireworks display out of the pit.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~