Trail Boss/powder quandary

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jack burton

Trail Boss/powder quandary

Post by jack burton »

When I first got into suppressors, I bought a great big jug of Trail Boss for .308 subsonic loads. I still have most of it. I have only 1# of Accurate 1680 that I bought for load development in a 300 fireball SBR upper. I found a load that works with 240 grain SMKs.

Here's my quandary. I would like to load subsonic blackout that will function in my AR with my 240 grain SMKs that I can use with my incoming AAC micro7 bolt gun. The Trail Boss won't work for that. I tried. I can't find any 1680. Does anyone know where I can find any? My only other option is to use Trail Boss for subsonic bolt gun only loads with the match kings. I hate to not be able to use the ammo in my AR, but there maybe no other option. Does Trail Boss work for heavy (220-240 grain) bolt gun subsonic loads?

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for this micro7 to arrive.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trail Boss/powder quandary

Post by hunter2 »

You can not get enough Trail Boss in the case. DO NOT TRY! Even with 150"s I can not get it to cycle in mine. There was a little A1680 come out the other day, but you could only order a couple of cans at a time. Not real cost effective ( about $40 a can ). I am just hoping they will come out with a lot real soon. They are waiting to send it out with all the 22's....
jack burton

Post by jack burton »

I meant can you use trail boss in a sub sonic load for bolt guns only?
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

jack burton wrote:I meant can you use trail boss in a sub sonic load for bolt guns only?
I have seen in bolt guns many loads with light bullets subsonic. Such as the 110 fmj 30 carbine bullets
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
Nathan-UK
Silent Operator

Post by Nathan-UK »

Your problem with using trail boss behind a 220grn head is the maximum amount of powder you can in a 300 case. For a 125grn head this is about 6grn. For a 220grn head which is 0.34" longer, the absolutely max you can fit in the case is about 4grn.

Now, to propel a 220grn head to 1,000fps in a .308 you need about 10.5grn of trail boss. This means that a mere 4grn of trail box behind a 220grn head is likely to only fire it at about 500fps. This means that it is almost certain that the bullet would get stuck in the barrel.

Hope his helps and saves you buying a new barrel!

Have a look at my thread on subs testing with trail boss and 125grn heads to give you a steer.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Any chance of trying 5744???

Problems cycling AR's subsonic but for a bolt gun????
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

jack burton wrote:I meant can you use trail boss in a sub sonic load for bolt guns only?
Absolutely you can!

You may have accidentally stumbled upon a thing of beauty with Trail Boss and your Micro7. The faster burning powders that do not work for AR cycling are usually much quieter than the powders that do work for AR cycling. Sooo, if you want the quietest shooting possible you load a powder like Trail Boss and shoot via a bolt gun or single shot. You will be AMAZED at how quiet your bolt gun will shoot with such a fast burning powder.
Nathan-UK
Silent Operator

Post by Nathan-UK »

Tallburned is quite right. My gun with 54.grn of trailboss behind a 125grn head is way quieter than any other load. It is not much more than a suppressed .22lr
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

Nathan-UK wrote:Tallburned is quite right. My gun with 54.grn of trailboss behind a 125grn head is way quieter than any other load. It is not much more than a suppressed .22lr
54gr!
5.4gr maybe?
:mrgreen:
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Nathan-UK wrote:Tallburned is quite right. My gun with 54.grn of trailboss behind a 125grn head is way quieter than any other load. It is not much more than a suppressed .22lr

I don't think 54gr of trial boss will fit in a 300 blk case, or pretty much any case that will fit in an AR. :mrgreen: :lol:

I kid I kid.

Trail boss works great for lightweight subs in the micro 7. It will not work well at all for heavy grain subs. you have to completely fill the case and then seriously compress it for heavy grain. THIS NOT SAFE AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!

I took several tree rats and rabbits with 120 gr cast hollow point and 100gr hornady xtp with some trail boss. very very quite. :mrgreen:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in