Lee TL309-230-5R Mod Question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

jungleman9941

Lee TL309-230-5R Mod Question

Post by jungleman9941 »

has anyone milled down this mold to lighten it up? i would like it to drop about 150-160gr. this is for a 300 blackout. i have a 312-160 already, i was hoping to get something that may feed better.

George
wlc
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Lee TL309-230-5R Mod Question

Post by wlc »

Have you tried their 311-155? Lots of folks have had good luck with that one. Probably cheaper than having your current mold milled down if you have to hire the work out.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

I've considered milling down a 230-5R mold like the OP suggests, because the nose has a better profile for an AR magazine than the 312-155. I have not done the mold yet, but I have cut down some bullets. I believe a 135-140gr bullet is possible, with a good profile, and easy enough to do (with the right tools) if you powdercoat the bullets and don't worry about lube grooves.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

if you mill the mold down you'd be shaving the boat tail off the boolit. Isnt that part of what makes this mold so desirable for the blackout?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Rushthezeppelin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rushthezeppelin »

plant.one wrote:if you mill the mold down you'd be shaving the boat tail off the boolit. Isnt that part of what makes this mold so desirable for the blackout?
Only when its powder coated though which I doubt was Lee's original intention. With regular lubed lead the boat tail can actually cause gas cutting which leads your barrel and kills accuracy. You can check it but then that kills the whole point of the BT. Powder coated though it behaves more like a jacketed boat tail and simply serves to increase BC and decrease wind drag. Still it would be a bit of a tradeoff turning it into a lighter mold as you rightly point out, but I think for alot of AR users the better feeding profile should win out.
jungleman9941

Post by jungleman9941 »

i just ordered this mold, i plan on milling it down and will keep you all posted

George
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Rushthezeppelin wrote:
plant.one wrote:if you mill the mold down you'd be shaving the boat tail off the boolit. Isnt that part of what makes this mold so desirable for the blackout?
Only when its powder coated though which I doubt was Lee's original intention. With regular lubed lead the boat tail can actually cause gas cutting which leads your barrel and kills accuracy. You can check it but then that kills the whole point of the BT. Powder coated though it behaves more like a jacketed boat tail and simply serves to increase BC and decrease wind drag. Still it would be a bit of a tradeoff turning it into a lighter mold as you rightly point out, but I think for alot of AR users the better feeding profile should win out.
Lee did not design the bullet, an employee from Midway USA did. Lee tried to convince then that the boat tail was a bad idea but Midway was adamant the mold must have a boat tail so they built what Midway wanted.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Rushthezeppelin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rushthezeppelin »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
Rushthezeppelin wrote:
Lee did not design the bullet, an employee from Midway USA did. Lee tried to convince then that the boat tail was a bad idea but Midway was adamant the mold must have a boat tail so they built what Midway wanted.
Interesting. Well I guess some of us are glad they did the boat tail. Hopefully I'll be one of those people when I finally get around to ordering mine (waiting for a big enough shopping list for midway to offset shipping).
Quiettime
Silent Operator

Post by Quiettime »

Well now you're also waiting for them to come back in stock. Went to order mine a couple weeks ago and none available :-/
jungleman9941

Post by jungleman9941 »

i got mine over the weekend from Titan reloading they had 19 in stock, fast shiiping and would order from them again. i will cast some as they are and see how they shoot when they are PC and than mill down the mold.