Supressed home defense SBR???

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Supressed home defense SBR???

Post by Sharkbite »

So... My stamp should be back this month

Im thinking about changing my "oh CRAP" home defense rifle to my 9" AAC SBR with the new SDN-6. Will be about the same length as the 16" .223 im using now.

My question is about ammo for 2 legged animals in 300blk.

Obviously a Sub sonic round would be quieter but im concerned about the heavy bullets not expanding/fragmenting and the subsequent over penetration.

So... What would you guys suggest? Light weight (110gn) bullet driven fast. Still suspressed, but more noisy indoors or suspressed subsonic with less bullet performance.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Supressed home defense SBR???

Post by attila. »

I was planning on the same thing, just waiting on my trust to be finished up.

I was gonna start loading 110 vmax/varmageddon to about 2000 fps or whatever the slowest is that will still expand and cycle the weapon since range of hits will be measured in yards not hundreds of yards.
My reasoning (tho maybe ill-conceived) is that I want to allow the suppressor maximum chance at making the noise hearing safe (we don't wear earplugs during normal indoor activities) while still using a supersonic varmint round. Plus if its going slower, there will be less penetration if it happens to miss the target or pass through it.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I would think that if going the super-sonic route that driving the bullet as fast as possible would increase the fragmentation and LOWER over penetration. As an exampl my current .223 is loaded with 55gn TAP that tends to come apart even thru building materials

Jeez im confused :cry:
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I would run factory 110-125 grain bullets. The reason I say factory is I have a very good friend who was raked over the coals by a prosecutor for using hand loads for self defense. He was cleared and the shooting was ruled as being justified but he said it scared him so bad that now all he uses is factory ammo. He also makes sure to keep the boxes until the ammo is gone. Not saying it can happen to anyone here but why take the chance? Saving $20 isn't worth the stress to me. I used to be one of those who actually carried hand loads, 147 grain 9mm at 1200 fps, but quit as soon as my friend told me about his experience.

As far as shooting supersonic with a suppressor you will get a significant amount of suppression. I show people all the time that the supersonic crack gets louder as the bullet flight time increases but there is not a significant amount of noise able to be heard up close. If the target is closer than about 10-15 yards there really isn't a noticeable supersonic crack. Is it going to be quiet?, no but it will suck a lot less with a suppressor.

Personally I would never intentionally use a suppressor on a gun that might be used for self defense. First, during the investigation and until you are completely cleared, which could take years, your suppressor will be tied up in an evidence locker. Second, most jurors do not know they are legal and the prosecutor could use that fact to make you look like a villain. I know some will say that loosing the suppressor to save your hearing is worth it and it is. But I would rather loose some hearing than loose my freedom when an ignorant jury finds me guilty because they think that I am a criminal for having the suppressor. Strange things happen in a court room, especially in front of a liberal judge. All it would take is for the judge to issue an order that I be seized and it would cost more to get the suppressor back than it is worth.

Will my AR have a suppressor on it? You bet and it will be on there all the time except when I am cleaning it. And it will be loaded and ready to go but it will not be my first choice for self defense if I have time to choose. My first choice is a 12 gauge loaded with steel #2, 00 buck and slugs. #2 first followed by several 00 buck then finally a few slugs. I don't really have to worry about over penetration but I still load as if I do.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

My go-to AR for home defense:

Barnes black-tips loaded, extra mags ready with the same rounds and some with 220gr subs.

Dololmite is on the money with the 12G as a primary and I also agree with having buck & slug ready. My 12G is in one place and the sbr above is in another. Location will dictate how unlucky an intruder will be... Either way it won't end well :mrgreen:
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The reason I say factory is I have a very good friend who was raked over the coals by a prosecutor for using hand loads for self defense.
Pardon my ignorance, but what reason would a prosecutor have for raking someone over coals? What was the argument against using handloads? thank you
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I agree with the factory ammo for defensive purposes. There are plenty of both sub's and Supers avail for this if you dont mind paying the price at the register ( i dont )

My go to gun for HD is a pistol. Either on me when needed or a cpl staged around the house. My past has taught me that whenever possible use a longgun

As for using an NFA gun... Its already a registered SBR. Im fairly certain that the added scrunity needed to legally purchase SBR's and suspressors can be turned to advantage in the courtroom.
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by QuietMike »

attila. wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The reason I say factory is I have a very good friend who was raked over the coals by a prosecutor for using hand loads for self defense.
Pardon my ignorance, but what reason would a prosecutor have for raking someone over coals? What was the argument against using handloads? thank you
Handloads make it nearly impossible for labs to determine velocity.

http://www.john-ross.net/comments.php
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Very interesting perspective on things... I guess I should invest in some vmax factory loads if I can find them.
cwo4uscgret

Post by cwo4uscgret »

I would not worry alot about reloads or not in a defensive shooting. I think that would be the least of my worries.

The 300 Blk is going to be the first round I reload, I have lots of surplus brass and just found 400-500 collet M80 pulled 7.62. I have many different powders to work with as well. Wish me luck on that.

On the home defense issue....if they get past the 120# German Sheperd then it is me and a Govt Model 1911 and a Mossberg 930SPX!

Not the Benelli!
Last edited by cwo4uscgret on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.