Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tripntx

ATF 41P enacted June 2014?

Post by tripntx »

gravitas73
Silent Operator

Re: ATF 41P enacted June 2014?

Post by gravitas73 »

So this of course is by no means official, but I just talked to my class 3 dealer, but he said that his ATF examiner said that the whole rule change is a "No go" and that "nothing has changed, or is expected to"

I asked for clarification, so CLEO signoff and fingerprints won't be required for trusts? He said "Not for now, and don't know if ever".

So Christmas maybe came early for us.

This would mean that trusts could still use the eFile system for Form 4's and get approval in 2-4 months instead of 12+ like it is taking now.

If anyone else can add a data point to confirm please speak up.
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

gravitas73 wrote:...and get approval in 2-4 months instead of 12+ like it is taking now.
Until everyone figures that out and everyone starts doing it. Then those too will take a long time.
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

I just filed another eForm 1 today before the typical ATF site 3pm "maintenance" shutdown.

While 1140-AA43 does not seem likely to pass, I'm simply not going to wait and see if they change the regulations for trust registrations. I already know that my local police chief is a bleeding heart liberal and will NOT sign off on 1's or 4's. Yes, I know there is psuedo "appeal" process but I have to maintain a low profile being in the fire service. I don't need my chief getting any crap... and he would.

IMO, if you took the time to create a trust, buy 'em... make 'em... file 'em... before your CLEO has a say.

BTW... a shooting buddy is a week away from month 12 on his paper filed form 4 :cry:
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

FirefighterCT wrote:BTW... a shooting buddy is a week away from month 12 on his paper filed form 4 :cry:
He needs to call the ATF and his dealer. Someone should have already heard back about it by now.
brobin10
Silent Operator

Post by brobin10 »

gravitas73 wrote:So this of course is by no means official, but I just talked to my class 3 dealer, but he said that his ATF examiner said that the whole rule change is a "No go" and that "nothing has changed, or is expected to"

I asked for clarification, so CLEO signoff and fingerprints won't be required for trusts? He said "Not for now, and don't know if ever".

So Christmas maybe came early for us.

This would mean that trusts could still use the eFile system for Form 4's and get approval in 2-4 months instead of 12+ like it is taking now.

If anyone else can add a data point to confirm please speak up.
man i only hope this is true!

christmas will have come early then
Charger442

Post by Charger442 »

Toxarch wrote:
FirefighterCT wrote:BTW... a shooting buddy is a week away from month 12 on his paper filed form 4 :cry:
He needs to call the ATF and his dealer. Someone should have already heard back about it by now.

depending on what state he is in, 12 months is getting to be the expected time-frame. i think the .gov shutdown of 3 weeks delayed most everything by atleast 3 months. Doesnt make any real sense, but not much the ATF does makes sense.
Poodleshooter

Post by Poodleshooter »

There's a huge backlog of paper filers right now, but that's mostly because of the older paper files from pre July'ish and the fact that they had fewer examiners back in early 2013. Once they work through the current load of paper files (I'm guessing by June or July 2014), I suspect having 100% e-files will speed the process up. It will speed WAY up if they ever enact this horrible 41P reg, because the number of applicants will plummet.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Forgive me for being late to the party. Is the efile application for trusts only or can I be for regular form 4s? I got my first can the old slow way and its not a trust. Kinda like the trust idea especially if it is that much faster. But then there is the cost of the trust plus the stamp. All this for a muffler on a gun. IT IS NOT SILENT, HELLLLOOOOO!!!
gravitas73
Silent Operator

Post by gravitas73 »

nolwark76 wrote:Forgive me for being late to the party. Is the efile application for trusts only or can I be for regular form 4s? I got my first can the old slow way and its not a trust. Kinda like the trust idea especially if it is that much faster. But then there is the cost of the trust plus the stamp. All this for a muffler on a gun. IT IS NOT SILENT, HELLLLOOOOO!!!

It was mainly intended for Form 3's, allowing dealers to transfer more freely between each other without consuming examiner resources.

But then was decided that Form 4's were done with trusts and thus no fingerprint cards or CLEO signoff were submitted anyways, it would make sense to allow that as well.

So the dealer holding your weapon must be setup for eforms which is insanely easy to do they just need to not be lazy. Then they should be able to transfer it to you online through that, but you have to provide them with all of your trust documentation to upload.

Also not sure how the $200 tax is done, if you would just pay your dealer and they pay it for you online.

Any dealer that is setup with this will always have access to the exact inventory ATF thinks they have, so should make ATF inspections that much easier and worry free.