Review of the GS Custom Dillon 650 Swage system

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Review of the GS Custom Dillon 650 Swage system

Post by BallisticTools »

So, I wanted to see if an on-press swager on the 650 would actually work, so I ordered one from GS Custom on ebay. I've written up a full review on my site.

http://ballistictools.com/articles/650- ... review.php

Addendum- Geoff sent me a new swage pin, and I got a GS shell plate, both updated designs... The GS swage actually works pretty well now and I have mostly retracted the negative parts of my review. I think with the updated design it's a decent option for a hand-pulled 650.
Last edited by BallisticTools on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballistictools.com/store
Blackout brass, gauges, and more
Shep

Re: Review of the GS Custom Dillon 650 Swage system

Post by Shep »

I bought a GS Swager several months ago and installed it on my 650 for prepping 5.56 brass and making 300BO cases. I've had zero problems priming once-fired LC brass after running them through the machine.
Here is a video of my brass-conversion system. The GS Swager in action close up is at 1:33 in the video. Notice there is little to no flex in the shell plate when the pressure is applied. That's the stock shell plate that came with the press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMgYmvAxr8A
nugio556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by nugio556 »

I also bought this awhile back and was not impressed w it.seems like I had to put alot of force to get it to swage enough to remove the crimp. The first one I received popped the spring..got a replacement free of carge though it had only seen about 100 cases.another thing I didn't like was the it seemed to stick in the case I just sprayed a little dry lube and it would quit for 50 or so cases...bottom line.... I just use the dillon 600
16" carbine gas
"I am my own 911"
tlee_20
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tlee_20 »

I am also a dissatisfied customer. After his swager flying apart within 100 rounds (roll pin sheared...), then I purchased 2 shell plates and one was cut wrong!, then he sends a replacement only to find out it has a feeding problem that he claims is the one reason to buy his shell plate!!! Ahhhhhh.....

Sorry. Rant. I know.

Geoff is a super nice guy. The best customer service out there. I'm just not a fan of the quality.
The Brass General
www.brassgeneral.com
www.facebook.com/thebrassgeneral
tornacl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tornacl »

I too had some issues with the swager setup.
Several times in fact.
After a few replacements it works ok to a point.

One of the things to look out for is the " snapping " of the swager rod / spring.

I keep some Imperial case sizing wax close to lube the swager rod so it doesnt get stuck in the primer pocket.

Goeffs customer service was ok with me but my friend bought the swager setup and had all kinds of issues and Geoff just stopped responding to him.

I am not a professional machinist or have any training at all for machining but the lack of quality control I experienced is border line negligent.
BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BallisticTools »

I think he's making them more solid now, the one I got was very nicely constructed with a heavy duty square wire die spring.

Like I said in my review I'm skeptical of its performance. It was suggested on brianenos that I try to hand-prime some of the 650 swaged brass to see if the more subtle swaging is "enough". I know it's not enough for my high-speed automatic priming, but that's an exceptional case.
ballistictools.com/store
Shep

Post by Shep »

I believe I got mine back in June, so I must have gotten one of the newer models. The spring appears to be plenty strong enough. I've run around 1000 cases through and primed 500-600 of those with no issues. I do lube the cases with a couple of shots of Sharp Shoot R Case lube in a ziplock bag before I dump them in the casefeeder. I'm sure some gets onto the bases and maybe that's enough to keep the swager from sticking in the pocket.
Coug91
Silent But Deadly

Post by Coug91 »

Tag
Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil - Doug Patton
1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Ive got a 550 and have been looking hard at getting a 650. Is it really worth the premium to get the 650? For as expensive as they are once you add the trimmer and feeder I've been really hesitant.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BallisticTools »

slow: I think the 650 is worth it. It's still cheap compared to the 1050, but the 1050 is a much nicer press IMO.

I've posted an addendum on my site after trying to prime the brass swaged by the 650 GS swager. The results were not good. It's hardly better than priming unswaged brass after a single pass.

I've ordered one of GS's custom stiffer shellplates, that may make a difference.
ballistictools.com/store