Bought an Encore...what about a Bergara barrel?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Twistomatic
Silent Operator

Bought an Encore...what about a Bergara barrel?

Post by Twistomatic »

I just bought an Encore ProHunter stainless frame :shock: . I love it!!

Don't worry, I like the Handi Rifle very much and like the fact that it is a dedicated caliber gun and that I shoot alot less :lol:. My AR in the Black just sits in the cabinet for a solid two months now....may sell the barrel.
So I will need to learn a little about Encores. I have read so much material on Bellms site and take some of it with a grain of salt and some of it makes alot of sense. Since I am already reloading for the Handi Rifle some of what he says applies to the the Handi as well so I used some of his advice already with excellent results. I was wondering what the Bergara barrel was like compared to the Handi barrel? As in diameter/contour, twist rate, etc., does it offer any advantages over the Handi or not?

I was on Ed's contender barrel site and oh boy.....there are so many choices!! I cannot decide what my first barrel or second barrel :mrgreen: should be!
Twistomatic and some Black Magic.
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bought an Encore...what about a Bergara barrel?

Post by dead-bird »

The Handi is 1/7.
The Bergara is 1/8 and stainless.
They both shoot well with the edge going to the Bergara. My Handi exhibits some vertical stringing. It can be minimized by resting on the frame.
The Handi is a bit shorter till you fold the Encore up.
Barrel threading looks better on the Handi. I've not had any issues with the Bergara, just sayin'.

Get both.

In stock.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/3 ... x?a=981937

talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

The Bergara barrel is fine for most all bullets, even the 240's have stabilized with the 1-8 twist. Accuracy that borders on incredible.

Mike Bellm knows his shyt about Encores and Contenders.

here is my rendition of a 300blk Encore,
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Ledslnger
Silent Operator

Post by Ledslnger »

I picked up a SS Pro Hunter too. Just found a SS BLK barrel on Ebay with a SS scope rail already mounted on it for a bit over $250. Considering the rails run around $40 for the SS models I thought it was a pretty good deal and jumped on it. May show up on Friday. Going to load up some cartridges this weekend for it...need to find a scope though. :)
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

Let us see it when you get it put together.
HotGuns

Post by HotGuns »

Here ya go. Another Encore with the 300 Blackout Bergara barrel and the AAC Cyclone suppressor. Accurate and quiet.

07/02 FFL
Maker of cool things to shoot...
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Post by martineta »

I started out shooting a 300 whisper encore barrel in 2001 make by SSK. Very accurate barrel. I sold it to a buddy in Paraguay and had MGM make me a 300 Blackout barrel in 16 inches. Very accurate also. Thing I dont like is its balance with the suppressor attached. MGM is making me a 10 1/2 inch barrel now and SBR Paperwork has been sent in for the encore frame and another for my Noveske M4. I brought up MGM as another option for an Encore barrel. I support American made products whenever I can.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

You probably already know but DO NOT DRY FIRE IT!!!!! Great guns that are well built.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I dry fire my Encores all the time, you do have to take precautions though. I found a small sheet of stiff memory foam that I cut into a small enough piece to sit in between the firing pin and hammer which makes it safe to dry fire, also a snap cap can also be used when dry firing a Encore. Never dry fire without taking these precautions.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

+1 re. dry fire. I also install a small piece of soft rubber-like stuff for all my dry firing. Especially when working on triggers for other people.

ALSO......that little firing pin cone type spring has gotta be installed correctly. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2