Lube inside of case neck.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

buzziebells

Lube inside of case neck.

Post by buzziebells »

I am setting up a RCBS Ammomaster Auto for progressive loading of 300 BLK. I use a RCBS lube pad with RCBS lube. I know I should use at least some lube on the inside of the case mouth. Using the progressive loader, how do I go about removing the case lube from the inside of the case mouth prior to dropping the powder? Or, is this something that is not an issue? Will the RCBS case lube actually contaminate the powder?

Thanks.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lube inside of case neck.

Post by rebel »

I wipe off excess, chuck mine in a Folgers can of denatured alcohol,agitate for a minute, dry and throw them back in the tumbler for a bit. You could probably skip the tumbler but it helps.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
buzziebells

Post by buzziebells »

OK, but that means having to remove each case from the press after it is sized, cleaning it, then putting each case back in it's proper place on the shell holder plate before being able to finish the process of loading. That basically makes the progressive press usless. There has to be a better way. I use carbide dies for the 40 S&W to solve this problem, but I know there are people out there wgho use the standard dies in progressive presses. Still looking for ideas.

Thanks.
1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

I use sizing wax on a qtip to lube the case mouth every 20 cases or so. Works great. The first few cases after the wax will have a little powder stick to the case mouth but it all gets shoved back into the case when you seat the bullet. Hasnt affected accuracy or reliability that I've been able to tell.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
BobbyG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BobbyG »

I use spray lanolin and have never had to worry about this issue....
Lethal Injections Have Side Affects
nateroach

Post by nateroach »

Just use Dillon case lube or other lanolin and alcohol lube and run them through. Tumble finished rounds for 15-20 min to remove lube on exterior when your done.
#1hotshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by #1hotshot »

I use Hornaday 1 shot case lube spray it in and it does not have to be removed
A GUN IN YOUR HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE
RAPR
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAPR »

honestly, I never worry about putting lube on the ID of the casing neck. I only apply lube to the outside of the casing. I initially tried putting lube on the ID, but after experiencing the frustrating of having powder stick to the casing neck like fly paper, I put a stop to it. I never had a case ever get close to being stuck, so I just don't worry about it. Also, there is no way I'm ever going to pull each case off the progressive to remove the lube...that defeats the whole point of an expensive reloading system.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I have never lubed the inside of any case.

Never been a bench rester, and worrying about .002 runout in an autoloader is an excercise in futility.

I make sure case necks and expander ball are clean. I wet SS tumble, so every case is squeaky...every time.

Another thing that deserves thought is the position of the expander ball in the die. I think Lee puts them higher up than most others. This seems to reduce "pulling" IMO.
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

Even with a progressive press I use a three stage process. 1. Resize deprime clean 2. prime 3. load
Last edited by sranch on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.