3 Gun anyone?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

3 Gun anyone?

Post by randyrucker »

I'm getting interested in 3 gun competion. I am wondering if anyone has used the blk out for it or do you have to use a 5.56? If anyone knows any good resources to learn about 3 gun please post them. Thanks.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: 3 Gun anyone?

Post by tfbit »

I've shot a few multi-gun matches with my Blackout and all has gone well. One plus it that it's easier to get brass back as it's different from 2.23/5.56 brass. I'm actually waiting (6 months now after it was promised to be delivered in 2) for a 5.56 barrel from DD as my local club shoots out to 450 yards and Blackout is a bit challenged, with larger holdovers (about 2x that of 5.56), at that range. Bullets are also less than half the cost for 55gr blasters and 69gr bullets for long range stuff are also quite a bit less than 125 MKs. As to rules and equipment restrictions you can check the below link for USPSA sanctioned match rules but a lot of clubs run matches with their own rules.

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/R ... al_web.pdf
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Do you shoot at known ranges? Or can you use a laser range finder ?
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

They allow range finders but it's slower trying to remember a bunch or holdovers as opposed to just shooting using two or three. The game is just going to be faster for the average person when holdovers and bullet drop are halved. If it was all short range and the rifle round count was usually low I would have no problem just using my Blackout for multi-gun.
randyrucker wrote:Do you shoot at known ranges? Or can you use a laser range finder ?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
djeffers

Post by djeffers »

I would think that if you used the 300 blk in a USPSA 3-Gun match you could score major with the right load. A perfect example would be the AR 3-Gun match as it is all close stuff with the exception being one 300 yard stage. Other than that, most people are running .223/5.56 for the faster splits, more accurate past 300, and cost of ammo.

I am just now starting to build and load a 300 blk, so I don't have any first hand knowledge on the difference between the splits between .223 & 300. But, given the right type of match (similar to the one above) I think it would make perfect sense to shoot the 300 blk. Otherwise, if the match has a lot of stages past 300 yards or a high round count I probably wouldn't do it, but that is just me.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

djeffers wrote:I would think that if you used the 300 blk in a USPSA 3-Gun match you could score major with the right load. A perfect example would be the AR 3-Gun match as it is all close stuff with the exception being one 300 yard stage. Other than that, most people are running .223/5.56 for the faster splits, more accurate past 300, and cost of ammo.

I am just now starting to build and load a 300 blk, so I don't have any first hand knowledge on the difference between the splits between .223 & 300. But, given the right type of match (similar to the one above) I think it would make perfect sense to shoot the 300 blk. Otherwise, if the match has a lot of stages past 300 yards or a high round count I probably wouldn't do it, but that is just me.
Thanks for posting your opinion.
djeffers

Post by djeffers »

http://3gunnation.com/news/details/artm ... ith-garcia

http://3gunnation.com/news/pid/514/cate ... e/training

I don't want to break forum rules, but there is another popular forum that alot of people ask questions in, regarding 3-Gun.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Your not breaking a rule if you post a link to a 3-gun forum. I would be interested to see if other people are using their blk out for 3-gun. They started 3-gun at my local club. I really don't have the equipment to be competitive, but that could change if I get interested in it enough.
djeffers

Post by djeffers »

I have been shooting 3-gun off and on since 2006. Looking back, I would say just get out and try it. I did and I have loved it ever since! By getting out and shooting it you can see what everyone else is shooting and the equipment that they are using. It seemed like I was changing equipment all the time until I got everything mostly the way I wanted (or at least I couldn't have any excuse as my guns/equip are better than I am!). One school of thought is just shoot and practice and then if you feel like your trigger on your AR is holding back, then upgrade that, etc., etc. I am sure more practice wouldn't have hurt me either. But either way, it is a fun sport to be involved in. I just wish I had more time to shoot!