Starting Loads for Lee 230 gr. Cast Bullets?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Colorado CJ
Silent Operator

Starting Loads for Lee 230 gr. Cast Bullets?

Post by Colorado CJ »

I just got the Lee 230gr. bullet mold and have cast 600 or so bullets. I am wondering what would be a good starting load for this bullet? I'd love to be able to use Lil Gun as I have 8 lbs. of the stuff. I was thinking 8.2 gr. as a starting load. It probably won't cycle though.

Anyone else shooting the lee 230 gr. cast bullets? What is your favorite load for them?
3006mv
Silent Operator

Re: Starting Loads for Lee 230 gr. Cast Bullets?

Post by 3006mv »

11.4 gr AA-1680, have not chrono'd these (probably low end of transonic/supersonic) but they all function/feed/out of all my mags.
I tumble lube just the ends, w/ LLA/JPW/mineral spirits, flare the case mouth w/ the Lee universal flare die, then barely if at all crimp, only enough to straighten that flare down. No leading of my bbl after I figured out that sequence. do not use the LFCD on this boolit.
I shoot these out of a M1S 300 Whisper upper, w/ rifle buffer and spring, gas block in carbine position, 1:8" bbl twist.
I have loaded and shot over 1000 of these, need to start collecting my lead out of that dirt bank b/c I am getting low on supply.
I am so glad Lee Precision came out w/ this TL309-230-5R mold, and also their dies. I have the Redding and Hornady dies too but I prefer at least the Lee bullet seating die b/c it is much easier to clean the alox out of, but since I have been dipping only the ends now, I don't even have that issue to contend with ( I was tumble lubing w/ Rooster Jacket but White Label stopped making and selling that paperpatching lube anyway). Also I had to grind <1/4" off of the Lee bullet seating stem so I could get more threads into the die body w/ their adjuster knob, that is one long boolit.

I think Lil Gun and H110/W296 is better for the lighter jacketed bullets, at least for me.
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

3006mv wrote:Image
11.4 gr AA-1680, have not chrono'd these (probably low end of transonic/supersonic) but they all function/feed/out of all my mags.
I tumble lube just the ends, w/ LLA/JPW/mineral spirits, flare the case mouth w/ the Lee universal flare die, then barely if at all crimp, only enough to straighten that flare down. No leading of my bbl after I figured out that sequence. do not use the LFCD on this boolit.
I shoot these out of a M1S 300 Whisper upper, w/ rifle buffer and spring, gas block in carbine position, 1:8" bbl twist.
I have loaded and shot over 1000 of these, need to start collecting my lead out of that dirt bank b/c I am getting low on supply.
I am so glad Lee Precision came out w/ this TL309-230-5R mold, and also their dies. I have the Redding and Hornady dies too but I prefer at least the Lee bullet seating die b/c it is much easier to clean the alox out of, but since I have been dipping only the ends now, I don't even have that issue to contend with ( I was tumble lubing w/ Rooster Jacket but White Label stopped making and selling that paperpatching lube anyway). Also I had to grind <1/4" off of the Lee bullet seating stem so I could get more threads into the die body w/ their adjuster knob, that is one long boolit.

I think Lil Gun and H110/W296 is better for the lighter jacketed bullets, at least for me.
What kind of accuracy are you appreciating?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

8.5 gr of lil gun gives me right at 1000 fps in a 9.5 in and 1080 fps in a 16 in
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Colorado CJ
Silent Operator

Post by Colorado CJ »

Well, just got back from my gun club. I loaded up some rounds using Lil Gun in some load ladders. Here is what I loaded

8.2 gr
8.5 gr
8.7 gr
8.9 gr
9.2 gr

All shot fine, but only the 8.9 gr and 9.2 gr cycled in my 8.2" Noveske upper. The 8.9 gr. didn't hold back the bolt on the empty mag, but the 9.2 gr DID :mrgreen:

I checked for pressure signs throughout the load ladder and I am having no pressure signs on any of the loadings. At 9.2 gr, the primers are still well rounded/not flat at all and there is no firing pin flow. So, I think I am good at 9.2 gr of Lil Gun with this upper.

Anyone have Quick Load? I am wondering what the chamber pressure is for this loading.
MitchSS

Post by MitchSS »

What is your COL? if you don't mind me asking. Just cast my first batch of these today and am waiting for the powder to show up.

Thanks
3006mv
Silent Operator

Post by 3006mv »

well at 25m i can get decent groups of 1.5"-3 ", this is w/o support and open sights. at 50m it opens up to a fist sized group. i need to get farther out and use shooting sticks or something better than squatting in the mud.

if you notice from the picture there is a final crimp groove below the driving band, i seat it right at that spot. I confess i have never had to measure the oal b/c i just adjust my seating die to that "spot". rest assured they fit my ar mags. read your instructions that came with the dies, it may have info there.

i really wish Lee Precision would come out with a powder through expanding rifle die for this caliber, that would be the bee's knees, and make my reloading life so much better. I have this cool adapter for the Lee perfect powder measure that i can stick right on top of any pistol powder through expanding (flare) die, so much easier and faster for me as i only use 2 old single stage presses.
Last edited by 3006mv on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

Shot some of the Lee 230's Monday.
Used 5.8g of Unique ( many early Whisper loads used Unique ). Loaded to 2.223 c.o.a.l. so the case neck covered all of the lube grooves.
Velocity was 1034 fps in a 24" TC Encore, 300 Whisper barrel, with a 1 in 10" twist.
At this velocity, with a 1 in 10 twist, they were yawing, and produced a 4" 50m group.
In a 1 in 8" twist barrel they should have good potential.

The bullets were cast half ww, half lead, water quenched, for 12.5 bhn hardness.
They were sized .309. Then the base and lube grooves were dipped in LLA, then set base down to drain off the excess. After a couple of hours they were moved to another tray to dry for several days.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
3006mv
Silent Operator

Post by 3006mv »

I have used the same unique load w/ the 1:8 twist it works well in that bbl.
H4198 is also good for this heavy bullet but i have not found a load that will reliably cycle my ar
captmike

Post by captmike »

I have not shot any of these in my AR yet, but in my Rem 700 AAC BLK 1-7 16" bbl, I get 1" - 2" groups at 100 yrds with a bi-pod and Nikon 3-9 Prostaff....nothing fancy.

11.2 grns A1680
Lee TL309-230-5R sized to .309 w/gas check
Powder coated
CCI 200
COL 2.173

Lots of drop though. The rifle is zeroed at 100 yards with 125 grn SMKHP and to make the 230 cast hit the bull I have to use all the little circles under the cross hairs (sorry, just too lazy to look up the drop right now).