Built My Own Annealing Setup

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Built My Own Annealing Setup

Post by StorminNormin »

I have been wanting to start annealing my brass, especially brass that I am converting from 5.56 brass since the new neck of the 300BLK is brass that was below the shoulder of the 5.56 and not as soft as it should be.

Annealing machines are expensive and other methods I have seen do not anneal the brass evenly, so I built my own setup. For about $80 total I put this together.

I used Tempilaq to test out several pieces of brass to determine how long it would take to properly anneal the neck without overheating the middle of the case.

After cutting the neck off the 5.56 brass, I annealed it by putting the brass into a deep socket in a cordless drill and slowly rotated it in the flames for 6 seconds.

I then chamfered, deburred, resized, and trimmed the brass. Now I have a properly annealed 300BLK brass from 1 time fired 5.56 brass. I intend to anneal my 300BLK brass after every 3 reloads.

EvilBetty

Re: Built My Own Annealing Setup

Post by EvilBetty »

Cool. A single torch and a drill with a socket to hold the brass seems to work pretty well for me. Why did you need to add the second flame?
There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

EvilBetty wrote:Cool. A single torch and a drill with a socket to hold the brass seems to work pretty well for me. Why did you need to add the second flame?
Yeah I thought about just doing it with a single torch and tested some brass but it didn't turn out as well as with two torches. Most annealing stations I have seen for sale use two torches and it heats the neck up faster to reduce the chance of too much heat transferring down the case. It certainly works either way, but after trying both, I like the two torches.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

That looks good, thanks for sharing your idea. Are you supposed to water quench or air cool the brass?

Thanks
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

wildfowler wrote:That looks good, thanks for sharing your idea. Are you supposed to water quench or air cool the brass?

Thanks
You could do either, but I quench in water to stop any further heat transfer. Brass is a great conductor of heat and you do not want the heat getting to the body or especially the head and the quick cooling in the water does not have any hardening effect on brass like it does steel.
Rick Finsta
Silent Operator

Post by Rick Finsta »

Instead of propane I found MAPP gas works well to get the brass hot fast, so I only need to use one torch. I mount it loosely in my bench vise to keep it from tipping over and have at 'er.
Delirious

Post by Delirious »

StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

Yup, that is where I got the idea from.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »